Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good old fashion hog roast

Options
kilo
kilo Posts: 77
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We used to roast a whole hog many years ago and I loved the barbuque crust on the outside and the moist tender meat on the inside. Any ideas on what cut of meat I should use and cooking instructions to accomplish that taste with the BGE? I believe this would be a little different than pulled pork. How much meat can you get on the large egg?
Thanks!

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    kilo,[p]To come close to what you have experienced in the past, I would suggest a whole pork shoulder with the skin on. Cook at a grid temp of 225 to 250 degrees until it is done. May take up to about 2 hours per pound. I would pull it when the internal is around 195 degrees. This will give you moist and tender meat probably like you have tasted in the past.[p]To make this cut even better, it can be injected with drbbq's great pork injection and then cooked about the same way for good results. Use a rub on all places where the skin has not covered the meat. I also mix in some rub before I serve it. [p]The large Egg will cook about 35 pounds of meat WELL. However, you can sure pile more meat into the cooker but you may have problems with your cooking. [p]Dave

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    kilo, I echo Old Dave's comments. If you want the taste and appearanc eof the old fashion BBQ, you need to have a single piece of meat with plenty ofspace for the air to circulate around. I have piled 40 lbs of butts on my BGE but it was 5 pieces of meat with them touching. I think a whole shoulder would be the way to go. It should come in at about 15-20 pounds so you can be cooking for quite a while. I would plan on at least 24 hours even for a 15 pounder while 30 hours (2 hours per pound) is not out of the question. Good luck.

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Dave and Bill are right on as far as the cut of meat goes. A shoulder is the way to go to get what you want. Cook it until you can twist the shank in it's socket and it well be perfectly done. I do these 3-4 times a year and I've never had one take over 18 or so hours a 250°-275° dome temp. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.[p]Jim
  • kilo
    kilo Posts: 77
    Options
    JSlot,
    Thanks to everyone for their help! What type of prep do you do to the meat? Someone mentioned leaving the skin on is that the best way? When have you found best to add barbeque sauce? Thanks for all the feedback. To me this would be a fun cook!