Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Veal T-Bone Steaks with Madeira Mushroom Sauce

Options
QBabe
QBabe Posts: 2,275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We have a dairy near here that visits our farmer's market weekly. They sell whole milk that is pasteurized, but not homogenized and their herd is grass fed and free range. They also sell meat from time to time. [p]Last time I was there, they had veal cuts. I had never had veal before, but decided to give it a try. I made a marinade of white wine, olive oil, garlic, shallots, fresh herbs (in this case, tarragon and rosemary) and let it sit in the fridge for several hours. When we were ready for dinner, I took them out of the fridge to come up to temp a bit, and got rid of the marinade. Added some salt and pepper to them while they were resting.[p]I found an Emeril recipe for the sauce, but didn't have several of the ingredients, so just kind of went with what I had! First, I added cremini mushrooms to some chicken broth and brought them to a boil. Then I let them sit for 30 minutes, and then minced the mushrooms, reserving the liquid. Next, added the mushrooms, some shallots, garlic and Madeira and let the wine reduce by half. Added the reserved mushroom brouth and again, reduced by half. Didn't have the heavy cream that the recipe called for, so added a combination of milk and sour cream to thicken it. Added salt and pepper to taste.[p]We got the egg going and stabalized at around 550° to 600°. When the sauce was just about done, we threw the steaks on the hot grill and cooked just a couple of minutes per side. When we pulled them off, they were about 120° internal, but after the rest they were closer to 125° - 128°. Rumrunner had advised NOT to overcook them and he was absolutely right. These were so incredibly tender and VERY TASTY![p]I'll definitely be on the lookout for veal at the farmer's market again, especially when I can support a local dairy AND I know that the herd has been treated in a humane manner. The animals are not caged EVER, but are free-range, and only grass fed, so none of the injected stuff. I've never had veal otherwise, so have no idea how it compares to whatever else might be out there, but it makes me feel better knowing about how they are raised.[p]We served the T-Bones with some spinich mashed potatoes, corn on the cobb, and goat cheese stuffed portabella mushrooms. A VERY nice meal![p]Tonia
:~)