Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 questions...

Options
Dave B
Dave B Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
the first... did a tri-tip last night - browned @ 500 then indirect at 400 dome temp till internal was 160. It was good, but methinks better can be had. Any suggestions??[p]second... I have access to Ozark Oak lump and am really happy, but am intrigued by Wicked Good. For those who have tried both, is the WGL better? Thanks/Dave

Comments

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Dave B,[p]I more or less T-rexed mine and it was awesome. I'm guessing your main problem was cooking it to 160. If you pull it at 130-140 (depending upon your tastes), then let it rest 10 minutes and eat, I think you'd be much MUCH happier and mor impressed. [p]As for the WGC, it's the only thing my house, my neighbor's house, or many of my egging friends use.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,762
    Options
    Dave B,
    i have both. ozark oak is really good with beef, wicked good is better with chicken and pork and much better for low and slows. i was going to buy a half pallet of the ozark oak recently but found out that my supplier wasnt carrying it anymore. i like both

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Dave B,
    I do mine slowly first to 125 at 250 dome, then let it rest wrapped with foil for about 15-20 minutes, then I sear it.
    tri_tip800.jpg

• ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    Dave B,
    i have both, they are both excellent.... the ozark oak has an outstanding burn time annd the chunks are huge... highly recommended...the folks at wicked carry both...

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,762
    Options
    ranger ray,
    i think they stopped carrying the ozark, they are carrying the B&B oak lump and wicked good. ever try the B&B

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    Dave B,
    Sure fire tri-tip --[p]Slather it with cheap yellow mustard and season salt.[p]Bring temperature of BGE to 450-500 degrees, with a couple of nice wood chunks [not chips].[p]With lid up, sear lean side for 4-6 minutes. Turn over so fat side is down; sear this side for 4-6 minutes. [p]With lid down, cook fat side down for about 30 minutes, with temperature between 350-450 degrees. Cook until internal temp of Tri-Tip is about 130 degrees. Let rest a few minutes. Slice thin on the diagonal against the grain.

• Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    Options
    fishlessman, If it is the B&B from Widmier TX I've used it. It has a nice oak flavor, chunks are ok, burn time is ok. I guess it is ok, ok. Tom

[ul][li]http://www.bbcharcoal.com/index.html[/ul]
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    tach18k,[p]Nice job!![p]This technique for tri-tip is my favorite as well. It is good that your photo shows a test slice to determine the grain direction. This is very important as tri-tip has a slight change in grain from the long side to the shorter side that should be taken into account when slicing. [p]~thirdeye~[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery