Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Going to buy one...

bayouegger
bayouegger Posts: 287
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Now, which one and where? Should I buy a large or medium. I am single but love to entertain and BBQ. So should I go for the large or really go all out and get the XL? I found a dealer on line in Biloxi MS. (about an hour drive) that has the large for $599. Is that a fair price? Thanks for any help and advice.[p]Steve

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    onehazelnut,
    The large with daisy wheel top and thermometer is very fair at $599. Welcome to the club! I'll leave it to some XL owners to advise on that question. The large is large, and can cook 4-5 butts, for example, but if you needed even more grid space, you might want to go for the XL.
    TNW

[ul][li][url=http:// ]http:// [/url][/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    onehazelnut,
    I bought my large from Grate Grills on Pass Road in Biloxi. They will bring the egg out to your home and set it up for you at no charge(well maybe not all the way to Covington). The BGE website indicates are dealers in Covington and Mandeville. Don't know if this is current info. When you buy it, make sure you get a platesetter while you are there, you will want one soon. I'd go for the large, you won't regret it.
    Cheers, Bob

• onehazelnut,
    Is the placesetter the same as what is advertised as the Eggcetera? The 3 legged ceramic deal tht can be used either upright or upside down? (Guess it's all a matter of perspective, isn't it?[p]If this is what you are speaking of, what are the advantages. I feel sure everyone here with the exception of me KNOWS all about this peice of equipment, but I have only been a BGE owner since Father's Day. Having a blast by the way and have cooked the best grilled meals of my life in the past two weeks

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Flip,
    I'm not onehazelnut but perhaps I can answer your question. It is the 3 legged ceramic deal that allows one to use the egg for indirect cooking. It provides more mass to maintain temps as well as shield food from direct flames. Legs up for baking and legs down for pizzas and breads. The platesetter will expand your cooking possibilities
    Cheers, Bob

• Chasb
    Chasb Posts: 54
    onehazelnut,[p]Not sure what direction you are coming from, but Madison Fireplace and Grill in the Jackson, MS area has the Large for $549 and I believe that comes with the daisy wheel and ash tool.[p]Go Large![p]Chasb
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    onehazelnut,
    Buy it...you'll be glad you did. Glad to have you aboard.[p]Mike

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    onehazelnut,
    Welcome to the cult. LOL
    Please be sure when pricing the egg, know what is included. Not every dealer is selling a package so beware.[p]Cheers,
    New Bob

• onehazelnut, I think one large would do you but if you are going to buy the EX BGE. Think about buying a large and a medium. That will be about the same price as an EX and you will be able to cook at two different tempertures.

• hayseedpaddy,
    ...not to mention that you can fire up the medium for smaller cooks and use much less charcoal to get to temperature. I have seen, but don't own the XL...I have a #5 imperial kamado (same size as large bge, just 20 years older, made in Japan of clay) and a medium bge. I haven't used the kamado since i go the medium, just 'cuz i haven't needed the extra space.[p]The Naked Whiz suggests getting the largest size you can afford, but that advice was, I believe, before the XL came out. IMHO you're advice is solid.[p]Mt vote would be for a large, if you're only going to get one egg; a large, followed up by a smaller one (small or medium) for the second. I am glad I got the medium recently , rather than the small I was planning on, but all is a matter of personal preference. Any advice from TNW?[p]

• bayouegger
    bayouegger Posts: 287
    New Bob, Thanks for the welcome. Well, the place in Biloxi MS is just the egg, nothing included. Places here in Covington and Mandeville have them with the nest for $699. I guess my next question is....what should I buy right off the bat. The nest? Not sure of any of the extra items needed, this all new to me. But I will say this,,,,CAN NOT WAIT to post my first picture. The pictures and all the help posted here is what helped me make up my mind to go with the BGE. Now, I would be heading out this weekend to get it but I need to run from "Dennis" instead. [p]GO AWAY DENNIS, Don't be a Menace!!

[ul][li]Dennis the Menace[/ul]
  • Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Onehazelnut,
    You might consider buying (or building) a table instead of the Nest. I got a small table with wheels from my BGE dealer that was designed to fit the Large. By the time you buy the Nest and the Wings (or whatever they call the little table things that can stick out the sides from a Nest), you're awfully close to the price of the table, which has a good bit more space for putting stuff down, and is more stable for transporting.[p]Make sure you get an ash tool with your Egg. I also really like having the grid lifter, which makes it a lot safer to move the grid when it's hot.[p]After that, you need to decide what kind of cooking you're planning to do. If you want to cook indirectly, then the plate setter is awfully handy, but a lot of people just use fire bricks and a drip pan instead.[p]If you want to bake, you'll want the pizza stone, which is slightly more expensive for the BGE brand, but it will last a lot longer than cheaper brands.[p]You can get a Polder or other remote meat thermometer if you'll be cooking things where it's tough to judge when they're done (briskets, butts, etc.)[p]If you're impatient, you can get a MAPP torch from Home Depot, Harbor Freight or some such place. That's one really quick way to light your lump, if the sparks don't scare ya.[p]Hope that helps!