Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Because My Wife The Chef Says So......

Options
EddieMac
EddieMac Posts: 423
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I broke out the BGE pizza stone and the first thing my wife...the chef....tells me to do....is oil the stone....with olive oil....and I did it....'cause she's formally trained and told me to......and that's good enough for me.....[p]But seriously, she has other baking stones and the manufacturers of those all recommend keeping them oiled.....it keeps the stone smooth and the oil emanames from the stone during cooking....and it makes keeping the surface easier to clean.....[p]Making pizzas to cook on the BGE is a great activity with youngster (under supervision of course) and we've had a lot of fun with it![p]Thanks![p]Ed

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    eddiemac,
    Hmmm...I've also been trained classically and have never oiled my pizza stone.[p]I think oiling the stone kind of goes against the grain of what the stone is designed to do. The stone absorbs moisture from the bottom of the bread or pizza and makes it very crispy and gives that nice thick crust that hearth baked breads are known for.[p]I agree that YOU have to oil your stone because it is your wife telling YOU to do that. LOL[p]Glad you've discovered the joys of pizza making on the Egg, search the archives and you can finds tons of info on pizza making with lots of pictures also that could be very helpful.