Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Heat Temperature

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got our Big Freen Egg and having trouble getting 500 degrees. Do we add more BGE Characol? Any other tips?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Richard Loesche,
    One of the keys to higher temps is to use plenty of fuel. Fill the firebox at least past the side vent holes. I usually fill my firebox full, but everyone does it differently.
    A little bit of time, and you should be cranking. Check to make sure your grate holes aren't plugged before you get going. Use a few larger pieces of lump in the bottom to prevent further clogging.[p]Happy searing.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Richard Loesche,[p]With a new big Egg and an unclogged lower coal grate you should be able to easily obtain temps in excess of 1000* if you need to. The daisy wheel top will artifically limit temps to about 400*. If you need more for a certain recipe, use the slide metal top or no top at all. Don't be afraid to fill the firebox with lump higher than an inch or so above the side air holes as the manual suggests. This forum is the best source for Humpty tips and techniques, not the manual.[p]Welcome to the forum[p]K~G

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Richard Loesche,
    The key things to higher temps are bottom vent wide open and no top at all. When you get the Egg up to desired temp, you can then control it with the bottom vent.
    JimW

• Richard Loesche, one BGE wag suggests a combination best fire and best use of the manual is to rip out several pages, crumple them, cover with lump to over the holes and ignite. Repeat this until manual is gone, then purchase fire starter cubes or an electric starter.
    PS I am serious about the cubes or electric and piling on the lump as high temps consume lump quicker than you might think.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Richard Loesche, - the link below will take you to a couple of prior posts about fire starting. I agree with Nature Boy - lost of lunp - later after you have mastered the technique, you can experiment with less lunp.[p]Good luck![p]
    [ul][li]Fire Starting[/ul]