Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Humpty's new home

FingersFingers Posts: 37
edited 9:02AM in EggHead Forum
<p /> This is my fathers day gift to me. The area to the left of the table that holds the large egg is for a table for a small. That table will have places for lump,chips&chunks,and Eggcessories. The Question I have is... since part of this table will have solid panels what is the minimum air space that I will need to keep from scorching the solid panels?

• SmokeySmokey Posts: 2,468
    Fingers,[p]That is impressive and looks great! Did you build it all in one weekend?[p]Smokey
  • FingersFingers Posts: 37
    No it has taken over a month to build. although I believe that one could build the structure in a couple of weekends. I wanted a pattern in the concrete and that required that I mix and pour the floor by hand using sack concrete. So that took over a week. It also has dusk-to-dawn sensors that will allow me to install either conventional lighting or low voltage lights. I also did some preliminary work to allow for a garden with some type of water attraction to the left of the structure. [p]

• Dr. ChickenDr. Chicken Posts: 620
    I must say you did it right! I built a cart to hold 2 of my Eggs, but after a few downpours, I wish I'd have gone to your extent!
    It really looks fine![p]Dr. Chicken

• GrumpaGrumpa Posts: 861
    Fingers,[p]Just one word.....AWESOME!

• Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    On the air space question..I think around a inch.[p]

• KennyGKennyG Posts: 949
    Fingers,[p]Beautifully done! How I wish I had carpentry skills like that.[p]K~G

• FingersFingers Posts: 37
    Thanks for the response. I tend to agree with your thought.
    My observations have been that for some reason the surface temperature of the Egg is higher near the bottom. So if I allow an inch or two spacing where the Egg passes thru the table the natural taper of the Egg will give much greater clearance near the bottom.

• Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Fingers, If one were to leave a half inch of ash on the bottom continually, you could set the BGE directly on wood without a problem..The ash insulates very affectively. Try it some time during a burn and feel the bottom both when clean and with ash. Carefull tho when its hot as I have seen the bottom smoking. With ash in it, its still cool.
    Just a suggestion...not a all around recommendation.