Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Steaks

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have long been a Weber user and love the charcoaled steaks. I recently had a friend tell me how great the food is on the Big Green Egg. He said the steaks where the juiciest he had ever had. I decided to check it out. My biggest concern is I love the charcoal flavor and the not black but flame kissed exterior to the steak. I went down to may local dealer and tried cooking a steak. Sure enough, it was the juiciest steak I have ever had. However, there wan none of the charcoal taste and none of the flame kissed flavor I that I love.
My question to you "Egg"perts is it possible to get that charcoal and flame kissed flavor when using the Big Green Egg to cook a steak.

Comments

• The Colonel
    Options
    Willie G,
    Welcome to the forum of flame kissing eggstroinare. I'm sure many of the eggsperts will come on and provide an eggcellent fare of suggestions.
    I did 11/2 inch rib eyes last night. When the Egg reaches 700+* you definitely get a kiss of flame (so does your hand, arm and eye brows if you are not careful) With just a touch of red oak or mesquite you will receive a charcoal/smoke taste that will make you want to slap your mother-in-law.
    Sounds like you just need to get ole humpty's temp up there a little more before you sacrifice your beef.
    yours in the egg--The Colonel

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    The Colonel, he could drop in a smaller grate and lay that steak a inch over the red hots. When I see blue flames skooting out the the top of the BGE at night like a F-16 in afterburner mode, I know dang well those steaks are kissed aplenty. The problem is with those briquett burners is you get used to the petroleum taste and think its normal charcoal..
    :-)
    Lump charcoal by itself is a pretty clean oderless fuel. And if he wants smoke flavor, then use Cats quick freeze exterior low initial temp to smoke with your hickory and mesquite chunks. Then fire up the afterburners...:-)
    Hows me friend the Toad doing? Hope he had a hippity hopping good Fathers Day and you too!
    Chowser...C~W[p]

• The Colonel
    Options
    Char-Woody, Hey CW. In fact i'm meeting with Mr Toad this afternoon. We are planning on doing some cooperative cooking this weekend and the planning session starts around 4:00 with a couple of cool ones. None finer than Mr Toad. He is my mentor. Every thing I am and hope to be I owe to Mr Toad.
    yours in the egg--The Colonel