Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's Official! The Weekend Starts Now! What Are You Cooking?

Options
BBQBluesStringer
BBQBluesStringer Posts: 398
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's officially Friday! I'm cooking butts and briskets for a crowd of about 50 this weekend. May be a few more depending on how many of my daughter's friends actually show. We've got a DJ, two ski boats, lots of towables, several jet skis, a water trampoline, an inflatable jumpy thing for kids, a keg for the older kids, and lots of good eats. Oh, we're doing some serious fireworks over the lake, too. Did I miss anything? We're also having a moment of silence to thank those that have made the ultimate sacrifice so that we may enjoy this holiday in the best country on the planet, bar none.[p]So what are you guys doing for the 4th?[p]

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,[p]Butt, burgers & dawgs (not that our Gamecocks will this fall)!

• Jopa
    Jopa Posts: 155
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,
    Fresh Market strips,baby back's, and a brisket. The BGE will be warm most of the weekend.

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,[p]Out at the lake, we're cooking pork butts, ribs, ABT's, Tater Skins, and Chicken Thighs this weekend.[p]Cheers,[p]Gm

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • BBQBluesStringer,
    Burgers and dawgs for lunch and country ribs for dinner on
    our great nation's birthday. Afterwards, fireworks at Keswick park in Chamblee. They put on a great show.[p]Going to the Tennessee Aquarium and Imax Sunday and picnic
    by the Tennessee River.
    Had planned on a but for pulled pork sandwiches, but my 6 yr
    old's taste buds aren't quite mature enough for it according
    to the wife. Still likes food bland but is improving.
    I elected on a turkey breast. I inject it with a mixture of garlic flavored oil, pepper, and beer and cook it about
    300 to 325 on my gasser normally, but I'm going on the egg
    for the first time.[p]Got a question for you more experienced eggers.
    Which DP rub would you use on top?
    Thanks in advance!
    Boohoo! Got to go to work today and tommorrow.
    Maybe I'll sell a few eggs, though.
    Grillnut[p]

• 1shot1kill
    1shot1kill Posts: 136
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,
    I get to work on Sunday and Monday:( Tell me that aint unAmerican. I have to miss Marina Rangers B-day party on the 4th too.

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning BBQBluesStringer:[p]Will be some ribeye steaks on Saturday, but after that the Egg will be cold til next weekend as we leave for Vegas on Sunday for 4 days. I need to contact LasVegasMac to see what he is cooking???? :-)[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer, Hey Man! I kicked off the weekend officially last night by putting on a 6 pound chuck roast, which I'm just getting ready to take off the egg. Pulled beef for lunch![p]I'm smoking 2 butts tonight for no particular reason, except it's the holiday weekend. If I'm home, I'm cooking![p]I plan on doing pizza and abt's for some relatives. [p]I bought the Gratemates from Chubby, and I plan on playing with them on the small egg. I'll probably use that for the abt's at least.[p]I'll cook at least one loaf of sourdough on the small w/the Gratemates and a stone.[p]Have a good one everybody,
    God Bless America,
    Scott

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,
    4 racks of baby backs, 1 brisket flat, corn on the cob, burgers and anything else the comes too close to the flame.[p]Doug

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,[p]weekend started yesterday for me, so last night it was cedar planked salmon with baked potatoes and stuffed portabellas. Tonight filet mignon, grilled onions with salads. Saturday is spare ribs and sweetcorn. Sunday most of the company will be gone by noon so pizza will sound pretty good. Monday, well mondays we eat Chicken![p]have a good weekend all! [p]Scott

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,[p]I'm a batchelor this weekend, wife and one kid are out of town. The other kid's never home![p]Hope I can eat all of this by next Tuesday:[p]Beef short ribs
    Wings
    ABTs
    Pork spare ribs
    hamburgers
    brats[p]Happy Independance Day to everyone - make sure to fly your American Flag![p]Chuck

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    DizziedRibs.jpg
    <p />BBQBluesStringer,[p]Ribs![p]John

• Unknown
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,
    Not sure I will be cooking anything. Have been invited to two different outings. Going to take my boat out which is in the water at the moment. Lake Murray, here in central SC is a large lake and huge playground. Going out tomorrow evening about 5:00, float out on the big water, drink some alcohol of choice, probably snacks in a bag and watch the fireworks show at dark with a thousand other boats. [p]Jerry

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,
    I don't think you missed a thing. Have fun! Up here in Wisconsin we have excellent BBQ and picnic weather. Today's job is to defrost and marinate a big lamb shoulder for tomorrows cook. Our tradition on the 4th is fresh strawberries sauced up and poured over vanilla ice cream and pound cake. I could eat that all day......
    Clay getting hungry.

• smokeydrew
    smokeydrew Posts: 130
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,[p][ul]Tonight<hr align=left width=150px>
    [li]Maple & Br. Sugar Brined Turkey breast[/li][/ul]
    [ul]Tomorrow <hr align=left width=150px>
    [li]Cured Salmon for a dip[/li]
    [li]Flat Iron steaks if I can find the roast[/li]
    [li]Sourdough bread[/li][/ul]
    [ul]Sunday<hr align=left width=150px> [li]Butt or Brisket started on saturday[/li][/ul]
    [ul]Monday<hr align=left width=150px> [li]ABT's for tailgating at Braves game[/li][/ul][p]Then it's a 2 day work week in the US and down to Belize for a couple of days of light work (and hopefully some fishing).[p]A good 4th to everyone,
    smokeydrew

• Grillicious
    Grillicious Posts: 347
    Options
    grillnut at Norcross Ace Hardware,[p]Two weeks ago I did Mad Max's Turkey and Gravy. It's a great recipe, but I did modify it by adding DP Tsunami Spin. It worked out great.

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm[/ul]
  • Grillicious
    Grillicious Posts: 347
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,[p]Spareribs, brisket flat, and a couple of beer can chickens for a bunch we are having over on Monday. The wife also wants me to try Jalapeno Jerk Baby Back Ribs with Pineapple Barbecue Sauce that we saw on BBQ University. Who am I to argue.[p]Yesterday at Academy I found a 2 bird beer can chicken setup for $5+. They also had one that holds 3 beer can chickens that looked like it would be used on a turkey fryer base, something like a "Dome Roaster". It looked like it would fit on an egg, but it was $49, way too much when I can just use 3 cans! What I want is a 5 or 6 bird setup like Chef Wil had made. Dream on.
  • Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    Options
    WooDoggies, MAN O MAN O MAN O AMEN.....Tom

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,[p]I have some ribs and a pork butt for starters. Making another trip to the butcher today. :-)[p]Gotta love holiday weekends.[p]Cheers,[p]TRex
  • The Virginian
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,
    Shrimp and Chorizo Chili kabobs, sweet grilled porkchops (marinated in the sweet brine for 2 days), pork butt for slicing. [p]Brett

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,
    Tonight burgers and brats.
    Ribs on Saturday
    Put brisket on Sat for Sun.
    Don't know on the 4th yet.[p]Working on and off most of the weekend. We have the truck series and IRL series at the Kansas Speedway this weekend.[p]Yes, thank a vet and remember why we are able to celebrate.[p]Mike

• BYC39
    BYC39 Posts: 94
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,[p]Butt, brisket, talapia, crabcakes, shrimp, wild Alaskan salmon, and to finish it all off a traditional low country boil on the JULY 4THHHHHHHHH...

• Unknown
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,[p]We are doing ribs for tonight, possibly salmon tomorrow night (can't be pork as we have a guest that doesn't eat it), going to a party on Sunday, I think they are doing a seafood fest, and then pulled pork for the 4th.[p]For lunch today we're going to a 50cents hot dog feed next door to a stand we can buy sparklers for a visiting 4yo. We have already been to boom city to buy the big stuff for our teen boys.[p]Saturday we are taking a tour of a garden/farm place that I bought at an auction. I have been there before and it's an awesome place. I wanted to go back with the family and we're taking visitng sister's family with. Sat night we're all going to our little behind-the-times theater to see the latest Star Wars movie. Can't beat the $5 admission and $1 popcorn and soda, altho we don't even have to pay as I take tickets there on Saturday nights.[p]Sunday we are going to a party on the beach that we go to every year. There are neighbors who spend literally thousands at boom city and have what I call 'dueling fireworks.' They try to outdo each other every year and it's quite a show. Lots of fun. Usually this party is on the 4th but they wanted to sleep in the next day so are doing it the 3rd this year. So on Monday we'll just hang at our house and do the few fireworks we bought for our kids.[p]Am looking forward to showing off my ribs to the sister tonight and then trying a pork butt for the first time for the pulled pork.
  • BYC39
    BYC39 Posts: 94
    Options
    Gwen,[p]WOW!!!!....all I'm doing is sitting on the deck with my non-stop egg, cooler and the Daytona races....

• Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Options
    Nix the brisket and tri-tip :( oh well......[p]However, I did find a great big 'ol fat 5 lb chicken that said, " inject me with some peach juice and Dale's Sauce, then rub my breasts and legs with some barbecue rub. If you don't want to do that, at least inject me with some honey and butter. Sunday morning please put me on a 275° fire and cook my buns till my meat falls off the bones. Pick me, shred me, sprinkle my meat with some more barbecue rub and then let me wrestle with some of that homemade BBQ sauce you got. Pleeeeze??"[p]Wellllllllll.............h*lls bells, I couldn't turn down a proposition like that, could I? [p]Other meals look like some pork chops and the Island Chimichurra thingie with the shrimp and fish. Got some cheese brats thawing out, too. I'm not sure what else will be thrown in there...but, it's early.[p]Every body have an enjoyable and SAFE Holdiay!

• Unknown
    Options
    grillnut at Norcross Ace Hardware,[p]I agree with the Tsunami (sp) spin. It goes pretty good with turney breast.[p]Happy Independence Day,
    Matt.

• Unknown
    Options
    Mr. Doggies,
    Them be some looking pig parts! Very fine indeed! I hope that you and the little woman have a safe and pleasant Independance Day![p]Icy Cold Bottles of Busch Light to ya,
    Matt.

• Unknown
    Options
    Got half the family down for Saturday and Sunday so it's wings and ribs for them. Monday is my 25th time down Peachtree Street for the road race followed by a pulled pork butt. That night is watching fireworks from the pontoon on Lake Spivey. Back to work on Tuesday.
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,
    RIbs and wings.
    ST

• WooDoggies
    Options
    Hey Matt.... thank you! I wish I could take credit for those ribs..... they were a concerted DP effort from a couple of weeks back.[p]Here's to you and your family on this weekend.... we live in a great country don't we?[p]Ice cold PBR's in your cooler![p]john
  • WooDoggies
    Options
    Sandbagger,[p]Funny, that's what I say, too. :~)[p]John