Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flanksteak

greeneggonmyface
greeneggonmyface Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have about a 1.5 pound flanksteak. I read the quick cooking version on the new recipe section and it looks great (BGE @ 500, sear on each side 2 minutes, then close egg and let sit 2-3 more minutes, burp egg, reast steak, slice and enjoy)...any other ideas? Thanks!!

Comments

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    greeneggonmyface,[p]You really don't need other ideas on HOW to cook it. The beauty of a flank steak is in the incredible variety of marinades that turn it into a totally different thing. Like tonight I did a wasabi/teriyaki marinade for a few hours. Delish. There are many of these and every one is good.[p]Some people do the rolled flank deal, but that is more work than I usually want to invest in a flank steak. I'll save that kind of energy for a pork loin![p]mShark
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Mollyshark,[p]Right-o Molly!![p]
    as usuall...you're on the money!![p]I bought some Buffalo Flank steak @ Central Market yesterday....I'm doing a Bourbon,garlic, ginger,toasted
    sesame oil, soy marinade.[p]Grilled peppers,onions,fennel...for the veggie selection.[p]Are the "sharks" home for the Holiday weekend?[p]Hoping this finds you well!![p]Evans[p]PS....be sure to put the Meister "MiniFest" on your calender for late September!!

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • BYC39
    BYC39 Posts: 94
    greeneggonmyface,[p]Marinade in a little fresh lime juice, chopped garlic/onions/cilantro, olive oil, and a little tequila...I've also used Italian Dressing, which is great for flank steak

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Chubby,[p]Will have to see on the late September. Have RSVPed for the OK fest since it provides a really good opportunity to stop by OU and look around. Lots of my son's friends go to school there and figured we'd snoop. Never too early! (I'm not panicking yet, is how that interprets).[p]The large sharks home this weekend. Small shark (who is taller than both large sharks) is off to San Fran with his dad for a week, so I'll be cooking the stuff he doesn't like. One meatloaf, coming up![p]mShark
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    greeneggonmyface,
    Well, if you want another idea, just place the flank steak directly on the red burning charcoal for 60 seconds on each side. Visit foodtv.com and look for the Alton Brown Good Eats episode "Raising The Steaks." The recipe will be under that show. It really works. Very impressive![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,did a skirt steak directly on the coals ala brown..came out great

• The Naked Whiz, I tried that last night..placed the flank steak right on the hot coals just a minute or two on each side...then I put the grid on and placed the meat on it...closed the vents completely for 2-3 more minutes. I took it off, let it rest and it was FANTASTIC! Charred on the edges and rare in the center...mmmmmmmmmmm Thanks all![p]BTW _ I marinated the steak in Worchestershire, ACV, Hot Sauce, fresh garlic, S & P for about 4 hours first. It was super tender and very good!