Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Fire Ring Positioning

Options
I was thinking of making up some type of wedges for the fire ring so I don't have to guess and fiddle if it's evenly aligned.  I am thinking of making 4 wedges.  Has anyone ever done this?

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited May 2018
    Options
    If by aligned, you mean evenly centered in the Egg so you have equal air gap around the edges?
    I would say it's not that crucial. Adding spacers that will NOT be removed could cause cracking issues as it will prevent proper expanding and contracting of ceramics.
    It's just a grill. Cook on it and enjoy.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    ^What @photo egg said
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • GreenEggMachine
    Options
    I was just thinking of making up a couple just to align it... not permanent... sorry for the confusion
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I was just thinking of making up a couple just to align it... not permanent... sorry for the confusion
    It's just not that big of a deal. Mine moves around as I rotate and spin my cooking grid while I'm using it. Leave any OCD tendencies in the house as you come outside to cook and relax.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SmokeOnTheMountain
    Options
    Just my two cents but all I typically do is a quick run with my fingers along the outside perimeter of my fire ring/box and the inside of the egg. If one spot feels significantly narrower then another I might give it a real quick adjustment just to ensure there’s a large enough gap for expansion. Whole process takes about 30 seconds tops and I haven’t noticed any difference with my cooks. What @Photo Egg said, relax and have fun.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Answer to the OP....NO
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL