Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KAB True Story

Options
My observation over time is that most lump, not all, but most, contains a higher percentage of smaller pieces.  That being said, over time, I also noticed myself tossing the smaller lump contained in the bag because it would cause problems getting my temp up due to plugging of the firebox holes.  The Kick Ash Basket solved that problem for me.  I now use all of the lump, including the smaller pieces.  Cash in the bank$$

Getcha one!
The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    caliking said:
    I'm glad that you found a solution to help you cook, but why in the world would you toss out unburned lump??

Don't do that! :)
    Throw it on top!  Or let it burn in the bottom of the egg. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Or throw it in the fire pit. 
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    It was problematic and would plug up the airholes.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    High-que grate addresses this sort of thing too, by the way.  But to each their own.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I have high que (knockoff) grates in both my eggs. Lights quick and the little pebbles of lump that drop below will burn anyways. I just pour lump straight from the bag, no issues with low or high temps or maintaining either. 

I always dump the chips and dust at the end of a bag in the egg too. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    edited May 2018
    Options
    The KAB probably already paid for itself!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    I personally think the KAB is a great asset to all ceramic cookers, it helps with airflow problems, the use of all charcoal, the cleaning of ash from the cooker, and the igniting of the cooker. Money invested v/s dollar - time saved, I think I get a great return on the investment. I have 3 eggs and 1 KJ Jr and all are equipped with a KAB. 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Well said @piney.  There is always room for those on the left and those on the right.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    This is going to sound nuts, but I have the high que under the KAB in my eggs. Everything gets burned up this way. I just pour in the lump, no arranging or anything. When is shake the KAB over the high que, anything big enough stays on the high que to be consumed in the next cook. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Roses and other plants love the ash.  I throw my egg shells in the bag and use my hand to crush after they've dried up.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL