Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Assembling a Large Egg with side shelves and nest this afternoon

The family bought me one as a bday gift! I've watched a couple of the assembly videos and looked at the instructions for the nest and egg. Anyone have any last minute tips and tricks?

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Welcome, and congrats.  There are vids on the BGE website that help.

Phoenix 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Great gift right there.
    Above all, have fun!
    Only immediate near term tip-watch your wallet.  Pace yourself before you end up with more after-market toys than space to store them.  Search function is pretty solid right now-ask here before you go "off the deep-end."  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • spbb
    spbb Posts: 9
    thanks to both for the advice. the nest is complete, now onto the egg

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    So what are you going to cook first @spbb?  Pour yourself a cocktail, fire it up, and enjoy!  My only advice is get the bands tight and save the little tab things Incase you need future band work...not sure if they still use those. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Also, make sure the hinge is on the side of the nest with the cross-brace.

Enjoy! Don't forget to post pics 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Check your nest bolts for tightness once a year or so. Just to make sure nothing has come loose. Maybe a little more frequently if you're moving the nest around often. 

The same goes with your BGE band. I'd hate to see your dome slip out and crack. Watch them especially after super hot cooks. I'd say check for tightness at minimum every season change. 

Most of all welcome to the cult!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Welcome!
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • spbb
    spbb Posts: 9
    Just finished and installed the springs. Some video shows an assembled hinge set. My band has the tabbed handle and springs separate.

@Lousubcap - thanks for the advice - I've been cooking on a WSM for 15+ years and an offset before that and I'm not big on modifications. I will be looking for a new thermometer soon as my old Maverick has seen better days. Might be looking at an ThermoWorks Smoke

@MJG - Just poured a cold one but not enough time to fire the cooked tonight. I took the assemble extra slow to make sure to get it right.  The first cook will be a steak or a low and slow cook. Also, I'll keep the spaced tabs

@ColtsFan - thanks, I have the hinge on the side with the brace.

@WeberWHo - The band not holding the lid is my biggest fear in putting it together myself. I have the band tightened until the ends are just bending in. The assembly video looks like I may need to tighten more but I stopped for the day - don't want to crack the top.

Thanks @1voyager!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    @spbb - with your skill-set we can all benefit.  All the effort with the BGE is setting it up to roll.  After that, pretty much fire and forget as you likely are aware.  Nothing like the stick burner effort.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.