Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef short ribs with DP Redeye Express/IPA and smokey chipotle beans

Options
Stormbringer
Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
edited May 2018 in EggHead Forum
Cooked up some lovely beef short ribs last night for friends. The ribs were rubbed with a 50:50 mix of DP Redeye Express and IPA, really interesting aromatic combo. Smoked over alder wood, with some smokey chiptole BBQ beans cooked during the process. I took the beans out after a few hours, put the lid on the casserole dish and let the smoke flavours infused.

When the ribs were cooked I took the juices from the pan and combined with sliced red onion, red wine and apple cider vinegar, heated it, skimmed off the fat and added the flavoursome juices to the beans.

Served with a side of Ramos potato chips ... or fries, for most readers here.

Rubbed and ready:

Cooking the beans at the same time:

Beef short ribs just about ready to rock:

Cut for serving:

And we're good to go ... with some Ramos chips/fries:

Thanks for looking!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Great looking cook and results right there.  Brisket on a stick.  Congrats.  
    I'm guessing this was not a wedding pre-party?? ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Winner Winner!!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Yes sir!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Options
    Those look great! I’ve never made these and will be soon....what’s the total cook time?
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Beautiful.  Excellent cook!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Stormbringer
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Cheers, folks.

@lousubcap nah it wasn't just showin' some folks what the Egg can do. No royalty involved, with the possible exception of the cats. :)

@Skrullb it was 13 hours in total, details in this blog post:

| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    What a thing of ultimate beauty, almost as beautiful as the wedding  =)  I'd eat those every day
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I wonder if you had let the ribs drip into the beans if that would’ve been good 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    I wonder if you had let the ribs drip into the beans if that would’ve been good 
    I took the essence of the flavour of the dripping by deglazing, adding some red wine and apple cider vinegar, skimming off the fat and adding what was left to the beans. Meant I got the flavour of the beef without the fat. Seemed to give the beans an extra kick.