Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thoughts on smokeware cap

Options
For those who use one, what are the advantages that you’ve experienced with the cap vs the DFMT?

Comments

• bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    If you do a search on here, you’ll find a lot of information. Seems people love them. I have the DFMT. I am happy with it. I have no plans to replace it. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    if your egg sits out and it could get rained on its worth it, if it doesn't I don't see the point personally.  I have one while my egg was exposed but now its under a cover and I have not used the cap since.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    what @blasting said
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    What @johnnyp said
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    ill agree with looks nicer, not much difference in function. if i was new to the egg, yes i would get one, but having cooked with a daisy for almost 2 decades, i dont see the point
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Kinda like the KAB, it's "cool" but not necessary.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    My DMFT works well enough as an airflow regulator. When my cook is done I just set it on the grate and put the ceramic cap on the top of the grille. It's been outside 18 months and doesn't have a spot of rust on it.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    I use the smoke ware cap I had a one time problem where I was doing a low and slo and it was pouring and my flame went out. It never happened again after replacing the DFMT with the SWC but not to say it wasn't just a flame out that would have happened anyway. It was a 1 time occurrence so probably just in my head but that is why i bought the SWC and have one for every egg again not necessary. Also my DFMT use to get a little rust on it, (I live 1 block form the ocean everything rust by me) and the SMC has not shown any deterioration as of yet had it for a little under a year
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • surveyor
    surveyor Posts: 124
    Options
    I have both, they both work good. The smoke ware cap is better in the rain, but the DFMT is easier to remove when it is hot . The smoke ware cap can be really hot to remove. I have switched back to the DFMT unless it is raining. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I have 3 SW caps.  The only reason I use the DFMT is for my Smobot.  They look nice, function really well, and are very durable.  Are they necessary?  No.  As an aside, my last dealer allowed me to exchange the DFMT for a SW cap during the purchase of my medium.

I really like the snuffer cap SW sells that goes inside the cap to snuff the fire out.  (Full disclosure, @Jeepster47 designed the snuffer and gave the design to SW)

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    I have both as well and mostly use the daisy wheel unless it’s raining. I’m just more used to working with it.  
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    I have one it works ok.  If u have the extra cash get 1 but it’s not necessary and it doesn’t cook better than the DFMT.   
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    what @dmchicago said.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    I had one and got rid of it. If your daisy wheel isn’t broken I think there are better accessories for the BGE. 

I cook a variety of things, sometimes i want the cap off and other times low and slow, removing a hot SS cap is not as convient as the daisy wheel nor is cleaning it after it gums up after an 18 hour pulled pork slow cook. 

If your daisy wheel is positioned properly it doesn’t move when you open and close the lid and the rain is over rated in terms of problems. At anything 272 or below my wheel is barley open; if I am at temps above that I am likely way above that and the fire is strong enough that with the airflow I never seem to get rain in my food. 

Some people like the look, I happen to prefer the oem style. If I broke or lost a daisy wheel it’s a great option, if that’s not your situation I wouldn’t recommend it 
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Works Fine
    Lasts a long time
    Don’t rust, don’t bust,
    Don’t collect dust
    Don’t bite little kids
    Drains to bilge, vents outboard
    Fail safe, Self lubricating
    Used through the fleet for increased reliability
    Almost Nuke-Proof
    Void where prohibited
    Don’t Fvck with it
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    And it looks good even if you don't clean it .. Like mine. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited April 2018
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    I hear you but as the saying goes beauty may only be skin deep! Here's what was under my SW dome, but that was nothing that Easy Off didn't take care of in a jiffy!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    edited April 2018
    Options
    RRP said:
    ColtsFan said:
    I hear you but as the saying goes beauty may only be skin deep! Here's what was under my SW dome, but that was nothing that Easy Off didn't take care of in a jiffy!

I recall seeing a post a while back and you were talking about that. We're getting close to giving it a try!

Perhaps when I tear it down to install that new Rutland I just got. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• RRP
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    RRP said:
    ColtsFan said:

I recall seeing a post a while back and you were talking about that. We're getting close to giving it a try!

Perhaps when I tear it down to install that new Rutland I just got. 
    LOL - now THAT would be a novel idea! ;)  BTW you replied before I got my "shiny reply" posted via editing.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I don’t really care for them with their logo on it.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I wish I had one to go with my New Rockwood cap.  ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Pattypilot
    Options
    Love mine.  Looks great, stays on when you open the lid, easier to adjust & stays set; plus I can cook in the rain.  

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    thetrim said:

Totally agree - I've got two in boxes with no logo.  Can't stand advertising on my stuff.  I get why they do it, I'm not a fan though.

Phoenix 
  • RRP
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I agree. Since I have now bought 5 of them for personal use and as gifts I have never received any with logos...otoh that has been like 5 or 6 years ago now! You might just want to email Matt and ask for one or more without that logo! 

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    Love my Smokeware cap.  Just sold my daisy wheel and ceramic cap on e-bay for over $50 plus shipping, so no going back!