Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Butt----Temp got out of control!!!

Options
I settled in the Egg at 350 and put my butts on.  I monitored it for about 15 minutes and it was climbing back to temp, so I went to take a shower.  Apparently, my Maverick alarm wasn't set properly, because I came out and the Egg was 430 dome temp.  It could have been that high for 30 minutes or so.  The outside of the butts are brown, with a few slightly darker spots.  Did that burst of high heat ruin them, and dry them out, or do you think they are okay?  I am lowering temp now, only an hour into the cook.  If it matters, I have 2 butts on, for a total of 17 lbs raw weight.  I'm hoping these aren't ruined.  They are for dinner with friends, and giving some to neighbors and a sweet old lady who gives me Master's badges every year.  
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Just drop your temp back down and continue. This early in the cook you will be fine.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Pic below
    Athens, GA
  • Mayberry
    Options

Athens, GA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Only issue could be if you had sugar in your rub.  That temp would cause it to burn, otherwise have at it and enjoy.  Besides when you pull 'em if you need to you can add some sauce to moisten.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Looks good. Keep going til you hit 195-200 and you'll be golden. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Mayberry
    Options
    using Dizzy Dust as rub.  I' pretty sure it has sugar in it.  Fat cap is down, so that will probably need to be removed completely, as I'm sure it's going to be black and charred.  Hoping it turns out okay.  I've never screwed up a butt before, and don't want to start now.  
    Athens, GA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    It'll be fine. I do my 8 pound turbos at 320°, on the egg between 9-10AM and they're done by about 5:30-6PM

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    How did it turn out?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas