Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SMOBOT Daisy Wheel

Options
I'm curious if anyone with a SMOBOT has ever cleaned the shellac looking junk off the daisy wheel?  If so, how did you got about it?  I think this stuff could impair the SMOBOT's daisy wheel from moving freely. What do y'all think?  Thanks and I look forward to y'all comments.  
Auburn, Alabama

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Take the Daisy cap and spray it with oven cleaner and put it in a zip loc bag over night.
    Scrub it clean with cold water then re-season it like any other cast iron.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Are you talking about the damper from Smobot that replaces the BGE daisy wheel?  If so - no, mine hasn't got that dirty.  It looks like the damper is made of stainless steel, so any household cleaner safe for stainless would work I suppose.  Maybe use an old toothbrush.

But be careful not to damage the servo!! 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • flexfusion
    flexfusion Posts: 240
    Options
    Yes, it's the damper of the SMOBOT.  I thought about taking the top one off and cleaning it with oven off.  What do you think?  
    Auburn, Alabama
  • kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    Options
    I just use alcohol pads, works well

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    kweitz said:
    I just use alcohol pads, works well
    I agree with this.  And I wouldn't take it apart.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    There are a few people here that have been using a Smobot for years and I don't recall any of them mentioning a need to occasionally clean the damper.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    edited April 2018
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    There are a few people here that have been using a Smobot for years and I don't recall any of them mentioning a need to occasionally clean the damper.
    I am one of them.  Never had to clean it, just lift up on the top layer if it’s stuck and it will pop up and separate .  

Do do what you like, but I have found no need to ever clean it after a few years of use.