Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone ordered Rockwood from Ace Hardware recently?

Options
I tried ordering and the "Add to Cart" button is grayed out.  Just wondering if anyone else experienced it.  I assume they are out of stock or my internet browser is being dumb. 
Glencoe, Minnesota

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Getting the same thing.  Guessing they are currently out of stock.  @stlcharcoal

Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Click Check Availability, enter Zip... I get,

Currently unavailable online. Contact your local Ace store for availability.

My local store actually has it in stock, hahaha, as if I'm gonna pay $27 for a bag of charcoal!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    I bought 4 bags a month or 2 ago when they had the $5 off sale.  At the time the were selling RW for $25 so i got it for $20 per bag.

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• sheetmetalpete
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:
    I bought 4 bags a month or 2 ago when they had the $5 off sale.  At the time the were selling RW for $25 so i got it for $20 per bag.

I debated it but I had some on hand at the time and I'm trying to control my hoarding tendencies. :) 
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    No idea....they have 7000+ bags in stock across the system, but one warehouse ran out yesterday.  There's a truck enroute to replenish (showing delivery tomorrow.)  So maybe that's why??  I don't know.  
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    I cleared out my local Ace last weekend...all 2 bags they had.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    I bought six when they had the $5 off sale last month. The guys at my local Ace were a little pissy that I ordered something online for a discount that they stock. Maybe they weren't the only ones.  
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    dharley said:
    I bought six when they had the $5 off sale last month. The guys at my local Ace were a little pissy that I ordered something online for a discount that they stock. Maybe they weren't the only ones.  
    That would be my last purchase at that Ace....
    Jacksonville FL
  • sheetmetalpete
    Options
    No idea....they have 7000+ bags in stock across the system, but one warehouse ran out yesterday.  There's a truck enroute to replenish (showing delivery tomorrow.)  So maybe that's why??  I don't know.  
    No big deal.  I was ordering other stuff and thought I'd pick some up at the same time.  Thanks anyway!
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I think my local Ace employees wrestle on the Rockwood bags in the the back. They're crushed. Always. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    Friend bought two bags from Ace Hardware in Titusville, FL. 10# bags. He had to show them the SKU and description before they agreed there was a problem. Long story short, they finally gave him the two bags for the normal price of one 20# bag so he got his money back. Did not even know they came in 10# size. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • stlcharcoal
    edited April 2018
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    Friend bought two bags from Ace Hardware in Titusville, FL. 10# bags. He had to show them the SKU and description before they agreed there was a problem. Long story short, they finally gave him the two bags for the normal price of one 20# bag so he got his money back. Did not even know they came in 10# size. 
    What?????????  They shouldn't have 10# bags anywhere in the system.  We dont ship them 10# bags.  Those have a different UPC and shouldn't even ring up if they did have them.

When was this?
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    What?????????  They shouldn't have 10# bags anywhere in the system.  We dont ship them 10# bags.  Those have a different UPC and shouldn't even ring up if they did have them.

When was this?
    Black market lump.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SamIAm2
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Friday the 13th of this month. He did say that three different employees were involved in the discussion trying to figure out why it happened. Just called him and will ask if he still has the receipt with the numbers when he returns my call. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:

When was this?
    I would like 5# bags.  It would be like boutique lump.  Plus no oxygen ruining unused lump sitting around in an open bag.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • SamIAm2
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    Friday the 13th of this month. He did say that three different employees were involved in the discussion trying to figure out why it happened. Just called him and will ask if he still has the receipt with the numbers when he returns my call. 
    @stlcharcoal - response from my friend.
    "I found my ACE receipt and it appears they used the skew from the 20lb bag to ring it up. The receipt shows number 8400772 and shows 20lb bag. That was the only way they could ring it up."
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Now that we are living in NTexas, I will be going to CGS to get my Rockwood.  It is a win-win for me.  I get good lump and opportunity to visit with one very nice guy.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    i was at my ACE store this morning - they had plenty in stock.  My store seems to carry it all the time now. $24/22lb bag. 

One day I was in there and they had it priced at 17.99 for a 22lb bag so I picked up a bag. it rang up at the higher price, but I pointed out they had it marked lower on the shelf.  They had to give it to me for the lower price. I only picked up one bag...
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    I didn't think RW was sold in 22 lb bags.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    It's not.  10# and 20# bags.  And you will rarely see a 10# outside of St. Louis.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    It's not.  10# and 20# bags.  And you will rarely see a 10# outside of St. Louis.
    Then someone is jerking you around, my friend.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Or, hopefully, @onedbguru just typed the wrong bag size.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grif
    Grif Posts: 47
    Options
    I have not tried this yet.  It is good stuff??
  • larryd
    larryd Posts: 121
    Options
    Ordered some on sale to try, I usually burn RO and have always wanted to try Rockwood but unavailable in Cali. I’m sold! I hope Ace continues to handle Rockwood, it’s definately better quality.
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I think my local Ace employees wrestle on the Rockwood bags in the the back. They're crushed. Always. 
    I had no problems with the first 20-25 bags but the last 4 have been smashed as you described. No more Rockwood from Ace for me. 
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Grif said:
    I have not tried this yet.  It is good stuff??
    Yes. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    1voyager said:
    I had no problems with the first 20-25 bags but the last 4 have been smashed as you described. No more Rockwood from Ace for me. 

Lump charcoal is brittle and subject to savage baggage handlers.  If your ACE presents you with a smashed up bag, refuse to take it and ask for a bag that has not been treated roughly.  No reason to give up on it for what should be a abnormal event.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited April 2018
    Options

I was just figuring out where to buy my Rockwood, since my Firecraft stock is down to about 4 bags.  It looks like ace is the cheapest, by a little.  I think for convenience I'll order direct, since the nearest Ace who stocks it is 12 miles away.  I've got no idea which option would be banged around the least.

Ace - 26.99 less a 5$ coupon per bag.  With tax totals = $24.20

Rockwoodcharcoal.com  - free shipping, and no tax (I think) $26.95

Amazon - no tax, free shipping with Prime $29.95

*Based on buying three bags at a time 

Phoenix 
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    1voyager said:

Lump charcoal is brittle and subject to savage baggage handlers.  If your ACE presents you with a smashed up bag, refuse to take it and ask for a bag that has not been treated roughly.  No reason to give up on it for what should be a abnormal event.

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately the bags felt ok when I examined them. I could only tell once I opened a bag.

I won't give up on Rockwood. It's great lump and I can get it from a local BBQ store instead of Ace. They charge a couple of $$ more per bag but that's better than getting surprise crushed lump.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    No guarantees that you will not get crushed lump from them.  All it takes is for one person to drop it.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.