Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT After shooting

gdenby
gdenby Posts: 6,239
Thanks to those of you who expressed concern for my wife's disability. The kid didn't die. Considering the number of shots fired, I don't know why. Certainly weren't .22s. At least the girls who lived there were kindly. Stopped on the sidewalk when they 1st moved in, asking if my wife, pre-stroke, was OK.

Moving is only a desperate last option.

But, as I've seen repeatedly before, the house where it happened is now emptied out. Maybe just another box to be filled w.  more trouble down the road.

This is not the appropriate place to go on about this, and I'm only posting because this sharing mostly about BBQ for so many years has been good. Anyone used black powder for smoke?

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Original thread 86d :confused:  Seemed pretty tame when I last saw the thread. 
    I do hope with rehabilitation your wife gets better each day. Black Powder for smoke? Please elaborate.  Surely you're not referring to black powder used in a muzzleloader. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • gdenby
    Black Powder for smoke? Please elaborate.  Surely you're not referring to black powder used in a muzzleloader. 
    Just being sarcastic. Kind of like asking if charcoal lighter is good. Don't know what the gunsmoke I saw last evening was. Being a traditionalist, wondered if anyone had used old gun powder to flavor their 'Q, supposing not.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    I want to apologize to @stlcharcoal You sir are entitled to your opinions and I don't know what go into me last night.  @gdenby I hope things are improving with your wife, my mil had a stroke last Thursday and we are still trying to figure things out.  Hoping for a strong recovery for both.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• @gdenby I am told there are two reasons why many of the shooting victims these days survive multiple gunshot wounds. Many of the shooters use ammo that is made for target practice because it is cheaper. Another reason is many of them have very little experience actually firing the weapon.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    My Firearms instructor always told us, It doesn't matter what caliber. What matters is the number of bullets. More people die from .22 than any other caliber because they require little effort to shoot and hit a target and also because they are cheap. you have a 90% chance of survival regardless of caliber if you are hit in the torso. With each additional bullet that hits you your chance goes down by about 15%-25%

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    Coming in mid stream here. What happened?
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • gdenby
    Teefus said:
    A kid, 17 yrs old, was shot 2 doors down. Not fatal, but bad, and a whole lot of shots, at least 8.  Heard and ran to the porch, saw him laying in the street, grabbed my phone, but was freaked enough to fail dialing 911 2 times. During the response, saw a guy in ski mask walk by my front steps, another guy across the street, and 2 others, one with our eyes fixed. Not the first time here, but really can't stand any more.

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    My Firearms instructor always told us, It doesn't matter what caliber. What matters is the number of bullets. More people die from .22 than any other caliber because they require little effort to shoot and hit a target and also because they are cheap. you have a 90% chance of survival regardless of caliber if you are hit in the torso. With each additional bullet that hits you your chance goes down by about 15%-25%
    Pistols suck at killing humans, rifles are king. Most shootings are with handguns. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    gdenby said:
    Teefus said:
    A kid, 17 yrs old, was shot 2 doors down. Not fatal, but bad, and a whole lot of shots, at least 8.  Heard and ran to the porch, saw him laying in the street, grabbed my phone, but was freaked enough to fail dialing 911 2 times. During the response, saw a guy in ski mask walk by my front steps, another guy across the street, and 2 others, one with our eyes fixed. Not the first time here, but really can't stand any more.

Yikes. Praying for all involved (or even bystanders)
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    More people survive due to us being at war for such a long time. Trauma has improved because of all the soldiers that have suffered over the years. This isn't political mind you but what I've seen. The velocity of rifles certainly matter more but plenty survive the air as well as the ak round. Wasn't that way 15 or so years ago. Just my view from watching it over the last 25 years. 
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Sorry to hear about your wife. Take care of the home front. That’s what matters most. 
    As for the rest, I hesitate to comment but take care. I’m sorry to hear you’re in such a state. Makes me sad. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Still sorry brother.  Guns aren’t bad.  Police carry them for protection.  Bad people with guns are bad.  Our society needs to learn how to make good people.  Sadly, that will not happen.  I’ll always carry a gun.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • I work in a weapons-free zone aka soft target zone.  I'm armed pretty much anytime I'm not at work, including at home.  When you hear shots fired nearby, is it wise to go to your porch to see whats happening?  Maybe you should wait 60 seconds to avoid the ski mask enthusiasts.  just a thought.

I'm sorry to hear about your bride's health problems.  I hope she gets better.
    Flint, Michigan