Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Thighs and Drumsticks

Looking for methods, time and temps.

I've seen some posts that are indirect. How long approx? 

I could go either way and I can raise my grid to slightly above felt line.

Thanks in advance.
Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
Dennis - Austin,TX

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
     375 raised direct. About 35 minutes to the 180 mark. I usually turn halfway. Suggest cutting as much fat as possible from the thighs. More fat, more  flare-ups. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    My go-to for drumsticks is to make a medium strength brine with one part kosher salt and three parts brown sugar. Soak the legs for about 3-4 hours. Pour off the brine and let the legs dry off. Do not rinse them. As they're getting sticky, add your favorite rub and a couple squirts of olive oil. Toss in a bowl until fully coated. Cook at about 350-375 indirect, turning about every 30 minutes. I purposely overcook them to render off most of the fat and dissolve most of the connective tissue. The brine and the olive oil keeps them plenty moist. Pull them off when you're worried they won't come off in one piece. Let them rest a little while, then feast. They're falling apart done and oh so good. The same program works well for wings.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Teefus said:
    My go-to for drumsticks is to make a medium strength brine with one part kosher salt and three parts brown sugar. Soak the legs for about 3-4 hours. Pour off the brine and let the legs dry off. Do not rinse them. As they're getting sticky, add your favorite rub and a couple squirts of olive oil. Toss in a bowl until fully coated. Cook at about 350-375 indirect, turning about every 30 minutes. I purposely overcook them to render off most of the fat and dissolve most of the connective tissue. The brine and the olive oil keeps them plenty moist. Pull them off when you're worried they won't come off in one piece. Let them rest a little while, then feast. They're falling apart done and oh so good. The same program works well for wings.
    That sounds delicious. But I'm typically not a pre-planner when it comes to dinner. Grab something on the way home and cook it.

I need to plan ahead and brine and do them indirect.

Thanks!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I do thighs and drumsticks the same way I do wings. Raised indirect, after 24 hours in the fridge, season, cook.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I’ve never brined either, but I would love to try it. If I am able, I’ll dry em out in the fridge on a rack over a cafeteria tray overnight then cover heavily with some Florida Everglades Fish or Chicken Rub or some Plowboys Yardbird.  I’ll go go direct at the fire ring level for an hour at 375-400 dome.  I like to sauce with a bottle sauce (no real go to here) that I cut with equal parts red wine or apple cider vinegar (I like apple cider better, but I’ll go with whatever is available). 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    I just used 3 different dry rubs for variety. No sauce 'cause sugar.

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    Brining is huge here. I can’t tell you what a difference it makes. I brine all my poultry and all my lean pork. It’s a game changer. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I cook just about everything raised direct at around 450. For legs and thighs, I go 175-180ish.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings