Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Demo cook ideas

Options
Hey, I’m an authorized retailer for BGE and we are doing our first demo cook for customers this weekend. I personally have owned an egg for over two years so I’m familiar with it. But I was looking to get some ideas on some cooks for our customers. Something easy that we can serve a lot of people and demonstrate the cooking abilities of the egg. Thanks!

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

The Georgia Mountain Eggfest posts recipes from their cooks.  This is a good resource for demo cooks.

http://www.mountainegg.com/recipes/

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Keep it simple. Just do ordinary things like chicken and pork. The sell job is in tasting the food. We routinely hear " this is the best chicken I have ever eaten" 

Once you get some demos under your belt you may or may not want to get more aggressive. Just remember, you will likely be continually distracted. I don't know how much staff you have, but it can get hectic.
  • OshawaDave
    OshawaDave Posts: 198
    Options

ribs and chicken (legs, thighs, breasts) go along way and people have a sample so it won't cost you a bundle.

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I too vote for chicken. Simple chicken, chicken that people with a gasser would turn their nose up at. Maybe have some smoked chicken salad as an app. 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    One thing that I didn’t know until I had one was that most any recipe that calls for baking uncovered can easily be converted to a BGE cook. That isn’t possible on the kettle. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Oh man, I almost forgot about these.  Grilled S'mores.  Use a pepper rack and buy small waffle cones from the grocery store.  Stuff with Hershey bar squares and marshmallows, grill until melted. 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Grilled pineapple with spears.
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Some things you can do in an hour that will def. higlight some smokey goodness:

- Smoked Cream Cheese w/ Jam (Fig, Blueberry) & Crackers
    - Spatchcocked Chicken - Raised Direct (chicken really highlights smoke flavor easily); or wings!
    - ABTs
    - Lamb chop-cicles

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Pig Shots
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Bacon wrapped dates. ABTs for sure. Cream cheese stuffed sweet peppers for those that don’t want the heat (mix your favorite rub into the cheese). Cut chicken tenders into thirds, wrap with bacon, dust with rub, grill and then toss in @NecessaryIndulg tequila lime chipotle wing sauce. Meatballs are pretty good too. You can serve them in a variety of ways or sauce with whatever flavors you like. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I would do pulled pork. you can do it overnight so you don't have to man the egg when you are busy with customers. It keeps well for a few hours and you can serve a ton of people for $20. Then maybe do a short demo or 2 during the day with some wings or abt's or something easy but tastes good. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    My vote is for wings. Do some buffalo wings, maybe some lemon pepper and some garlic parmesan.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Griffin said:
    My vote is for wings. Do some buffalo wings, maybe some lemon pepper and some garlic parmesan.
    It’s nice to pick a simple protein and highlight various rubs and sauces. I agree. 
  • ChrisSonn23
    ChrisSonn23 Posts: 280
    Options
    We do demo's quite a bit. Some things that are easy to pump out quick are

-Meatballs
    -Pizzas
    -Wings
    -Whole Chickens
    -Pork Tenderloin

I would also do a Pork Butt the night before. People go crazy over the pulled pork. Good luck! Demo's are a great way to show off the Egg. Every time we fire it up, people gravitate towards it and ask questions. 
    BGE Dealer and EggHead since 2013. Find our company on Facebook
    Large BGE
    Waterloo, IL
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    I would give serious consideration to a turkey breast.  It has impressed my friends and family as much as anything I cook on an egg.  The key is that most people overcook it so they have never had a moist slice of white meat turkey.  And most slice it wrong.  So while the egg does an excellent job of cooking turkey breast and keeping it juicy - there are some other aspects of the cook/prep that can really accentuate it without giving people the impression that it's just a great "recipe".  It makes the egg seem more magical than it really is.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Bacon wrapped dates. ABTs for sure. Cream cheese stuffed sweet peppers for those that don’t want the heat (mix your favorite rub into the cheese). Cut chicken tenders into thirds, wrap with bacon, dust with rub, grill and then toss in @NecessaryIndulg tequila lime chipotle wing sauce. Meatballs are pretty good too. You can serve them in a variety of ways or sauce with whatever flavors you like. 
    I like the way you think! Come to Athens in the fall so we can do some tailgating   =)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Pineapple Gems are pretty good. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • zyou11
    zyou11 Posts: 13
    Options
    We fire the Egg up first thing when we get to the store. Cinnamon rolls in CI skillet in the morning. Throw a pork loin (not tenderloin, more expensive and not as big) on shortly after and have it ready for lunch time. Cube it up and have some different sauces we carry out for customers to try. Chicken wings on after that for the customers coming through after work. Maybe some chocolate chip cookies after that if time allows. Really shows the versatility of the Egg and certainly gets all the employees excited!