Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: 23 and Me

Has anybody on here done this test? I just got my results back this morning. Based on my aunt's genealogy research I should have had about 3% American Indian. The results were 99.7% European with 64% Irish and English(they lump Scotland and Wales in with England), 19% German and French combined, 0.9 % Scandinavian with the remainder broadly European and 0.2% Subsaharan African. But not even a fraction of a percent American Indian or Asian. Health wise I came out great, saturated fats don't affect my weigh, only calories.

My guess is that not all genes are passed along in equal proportions.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,736
    edited April 2018
    wasnt every american told they were part indian ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Not every American had an Aunt with a Doctorate trace the family. That was relatively easy since we have a family bible dating back to pre Civil War days in which all births were recorded. She even found the tombstone inscribed "Running Deer, wife of John(my last name)". I guess that not all DNA is evenly passed on and the Choctaw genes didn't make it to me. The nice part is that I have no markers indicating Adult Onset Alzheimers or any other major disease.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    I wouldn't read too much into most of the health aspects of the genetics.

The ancestry stuff is interesting. I assumed I was  just European - primarily British Isles and some Northern Europe. And that is by far the largest percentage, however, I am intrigued by the smattering of Japanese from a relative(s) from about 400 years ago.

My wife is nothing but Western/Northern European so her world map is kind of boring. It seems my ancestors got around the globe a bit more:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Gulfcoastguy
    Well it looks like when my ancestor left Africa he went straight to Europe and got busy with a Neanderthal chick. I have 318 Neanderthal markers or more than 95% of the people that they test After that, the farthest that they moved from Western Europe was across the North Sea to the British Isles and up where the Vikings later evolved. No Asian, American Indian (at least showing in the test), no Delhi type Indians, 0.2 % west African.
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    For me , it’s 35% Irish , 19% Scandinavian. The rest a smattering of Britain, east , south, Western Europe in 10% increments . 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    What's the cost of the test?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Gulfcoastguy
    dmchicago said:
    What's the cost of the test?
    For Ancestry only $100.00. For Ancestry plus the health stuff it was $199.00. There were a couple of family health issues that I needed to check on. I ended up not having the genetic markers for Adult Onset Alzheimers. I did have one of 2 markers for Adult Macular Degeneration, they said that it was a very low probability with just one marker. My mother has Macular Degeneration and has been night blind for years. Knowing that I did not have the most common genetic markers for cancer was also nice.
  • chzplz
    chzplz Posts: 59
    You’ve got a 50/50 chance whether you get your mother’s or father’s half of each gene pair.  It is very possible that your parent’s American Indian gene didn’t get passed on. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

So those of you in the know, you feel these tests are legit?  I'm not saying they aren't - I know nothing of this kind of stuff.  Seems like a fun bit of info.

Phoenix 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    blasting said:

So those of you in the know, you feel these tests are legit?  I'm not saying they aren't - I know nothing of this kind of stuff.  Seems like a fun bit of info.

There are lots of doubt about the accuracy of much of the info but still useful/interesting/entertaining.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    The results are legit.  I was contacted by someone on ancestry who matched as my second cousin. Turned out after some research that she was the daughter of my  great uncle and and a German woman he met during his time in the service.  No one knew about her and he had two daughters in the states shortly thereafter.   He is now deceased but just this year I introduced my 55 and 60 year old cousins to their half sister. Thankfully it was well received. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Has anybody on here done this test? I just got my results back this morning. Based on my aunt's genealogy research I should have had about 3% American Indian. The results were 99.7% European with 64% Irish and English(they lump Scotland and Wales in with England), 19% German and French combined, 0.9 % Scandinavian with the remainder broadly European and 0.2% Subsaharan African. But not even a fraction of a percent American Indian or Asian. Health wise I came out great, saturated fats don't affect my weigh, only calories.

Are you Elizabeth Warren?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    etherdome said:
    The results are legit.  I was contacted by someone on ancestry who matched as my second cousin. Turned out after some research that she was the daughter of my  great uncle and and a German woman he met during his time in the service.  No one knew about her and he had two daughters in the states shortly thereafter.   He is now deceased but just this year I introduced my 55 and 60 year old cousins to their half sister. Thankfully it was well received. 

That kinda stuff freaks me out.  I also don't need to find some son or daughter from a Spring Break tryst back in HS or college. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Gulfcoastguy
    thetrim said:

Are you Elizabeth Warren?
    No and I never expected to be more than 3% Indian. That is caucasian. I never tried to get a scholarship as a minority. If you were to read  post #3 you will find that one of my major motivations was to find out if I had a tendency to two major diseases. The ancestry part was just for fun. 
  • Gulfcoastguy

Not every American had an Aunt with a Doctorate trace the family. That was relatively easy since we have a family bible dating back to pre Civil War days in which all births were recorded. She even found the tombstone inscribed "Running Deer, wife of John(my last name)". I guess that not all DNA is evenly passed on and the Choctaw genes didn't make it to me. The nice part is that I have no markers indicating Adult Onset Alzheimers or any other major disease.
    What did you disagree with Blasting? Do you know my aunt or did you hack into my account on 23andme.com? 
  • Gulfcoastguy

thetrim said:
    etherdome said:

That kinda stuff freaks me out.  I also don't need to find some son or daughter from a Spring Break tryst back in HS or college. 
    Believe that is one of the things that I checked. Nobody closer than a second cousin has been tested.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

What did you disagree with Blasting? Do you know my aunt or did you hack into my account on 23andme.com? 

Neither!  My apologies @Gulfcoastguy.  Simply a case of "dumb thumb"  (all fixed)

Phoenix 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    blasting said:

Neither!  My apologies @Gulfcoastguy.  Simply a case of "dumb thumb"  (all fixed)

Not a problem then. Have a good night.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    blasting said:

Don’t trust him.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    bgebrent said:
    blasting said:

Don’t trust him.
    Don't trust anyone. They're all out to get you.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    DMW said:
    bgebrent said:
    blasting said:

Don’t trust him.
    Don't trust anyone. They're all out to get you.
    Good laugh Dwayne.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Well it looks like when my ancestor left Africa he went straight to Europe and got busy with a Neanderthal chick. I have 318 Neanderthal markers or more than 95% of the people that they test After that, the farthest that they moved from Western Europe was across the North Sea to the British Isles and up where the Vikings later evolved. No Asian, American Indian (at least showing in the test), no Delhi type Indians, 0.2 % west African.
    Delhi type Indians? :rofl:  I’m stealing that. 

With >1.3billion of em in a single country, we just say “Indian” :smiley: 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Well I could have said Hollywood Indians and Bollywood Indians.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Bwahahahahaha. Yeah, a Jew sabotaged your great grandmother. 
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    I’ve done both - Ancestry and 23&Me.  Timed right, you can get them at 1/2 price - bought the 23&Me last Black Friday for $99.  Both tests matched me with cousins I hadn’t known had also taken the tests.  I feel the 23 offered much more information.  Yes, the two tests paralleled each other, but they do report data somewhat differently.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Yes a few of my relatives would be in a huff to deny this, but I don’t particularly like them. When one of them was carrying on about sinful gays I pointed out that he was on his third marriage and referred him to Matthew chapter 9.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Well I could have said Hollywood Indians and Bollywood Indians.
    Getting closer. Still way off. :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Well I could have said Hollywood Indians and Bollywood Indians.
    Or you could say feather, not dot, but that would be wrong. =)