Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flat Iron Steak

Options
huha99
huha99 Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
"Long time listener-first time caller". I have been egging now for about a year and LOVE it. Reading the forum has helped avoid any cooking disaster. Several weeks (maybe a month?) ago, there was discussion about the flat iron steak. (Max, TRex?) It sounded great! I am having some difficulty finding the information, so hoped to get help here. Any tips/ suggestions on finding it, best recipe, etc would be appreciated.

Comments

• PizzandQs
    PizzandQs Posts: 42
    Options
    It's a top blade steak, cut from the chuck. It's a clever extraction of quality steak from a $1.59 a lb part of the steer. Generally, any recipe that works for flank steak should work - cook it hot, not past medium rare.
    Have fun,
    Steve
  • haywyre
    haywyre Posts: 165
    Options
    Grilled Flat Iron Steak
    From Chef Gerard Thompson of Rough Creek Lodge.

Prep: 5 minutes
    Refrigerate: 6-12 hours
    Cook: 20 minutes
    Servings: Serves 4
    2 lbs. Flat Iron steaks
    6 cloves fresh garlic
    2 sprigs fresh rosemary
    8 sprigs fresh thyme
    1 lemon, zested
    2 cups vegetable oil
    Sauce:
    1 qt. veal stock
    1 cup Zinfandel wine

Place all ingredients (except steaks) in blender and blend until smooth, approximately 2 minutes.
    Place marinade in shallow dish or sealable plastic bag, and place steaks in dish making sure meat is well covered. Allow to marinate in refrigerator 6-12 hours.
    Grill steaks to medium-rare (140°F). Set aside.
    For sauce: Place wine in stainless steel pan and reduce until only 1 Tbsp. remains. Add veal stock and reduce on high heat until it becomes thickened and about 1 cup remains. Season with kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
    To serve, slice steak into slices and pour about 2 oz. of sauce over top.

This is one of the best ones I have used
  • huha99
    huha99 Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks. How difficult is it going to be to get the Fresh Market butcher to cut this for me?
  • PizzandQs
    PizzandQs Posts: 42
    Options
    Unless the cut is popular in your area (it's not here in northern Colo) you WILL have to go to someone who actually cuts meat, rather than a grocery that just puts what they get pre cut out into their cold case. Butchers that have access to the top blade roast that the steak gets cut from should be glad to help...my local Whole Foods gets $10.99 for the steaks!!!
    Have fun,
    Steve