Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Off Topic - Caveman Filets by the river and Granny Smith Apple crescents.

Options
Foghorn
Foghorn Posts: 9,842
edited March 2018 in Off Topic
Not cooked on an egg. But forward caveman seared. Finished raised indirect.  Eaten on paper plates with plastic utensils because that’s all we have. I knew that going in so I got HEB Prime 1 filets. A plastic knife was up to the task. Thanks for looking. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• Foghorn
    Options
    Crescents. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Outstanding! Beautiful view!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Y’all are living large. Caveman is hands down my favorite way to cook a steak. 

And I remember those apple crescent things from Salado a couple of years ago. They were good. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks @jabam, and @caliking, here are pics of the finished rolls. 

Hopefully, @20stone, won’t breadshame me for using storebought crescents. 

San Antonio, TX

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    I had no idea you had an apple orchard.  Those look fantastic.
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Now I will have to make some of those!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Legume said:
    Thanks @Legume.  I was wondering if you were going to drop in to accuse me of glamping.  :)

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    jabam said:
    Now I will have to make some of those!
    Add a little brown sugar and cinnamon @jabam.  Very easy to make.  

San Antonio, TX

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Foghorn said:

....Hopefully, @20stone, won’t breadshame me for using storebought crescents.
    No shaming on this one.  Puff pastry is no joke, and even most glampgrounds don't have kitchens properly equipped to make it from scratch.

Foghorn said:
    ....Eaten on paper plates with plastic utensils because that’s all we have.
    Utensils, however...those steaks look good enough to bare hand.

All chop busting aside, that looks lime a great meal, and I could totally munch some of those apple do das
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks @20stone.

On another note, my daughter just walked outside the cabin to get something out of her car and when she returned she said “It smells like Cousin Eddie is emptying out the sh!tter” in the RV section of the campground. In case anyone was wondering if I’m a good parent. 

San Antonio, TX

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Legume said:
    Thanks @Legume.  I was wondering if you were going to drop in to accuse me of glamping.  :)
    Haha - canned croissant dough, cooked on foil? Nah.  You would’ve at least needed some goat cheese and lavender in the filling and had a fancy name for them.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Thanks @20stone.

On another note, my daughter just walked outside the cabin to get something out of her car and when she returned she said “It smells like Cousin Eddie is emptying out the sh!tter” in the RV section of the campground. In case anyone was wondering if I’m a good parent. 
    Likely in the finals for "Parent of the Year" in my books. Great meal, great view, great movie.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks @YukonRon.  I have to admit that I felt a sense of pride when she said that. 

San Antonio, TX

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Great meal... Great Dad..... Great Daughter 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks @northGAcock

San Antonio, TX

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks @thetrim. Very apropos. 

San Antonio, TX