Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leg of Lamb for Easter

I have been asked to cook a 4lb leg of lamb that I'm having de-boned and butterflied. I plan to marinate for 24 hours and then put on my Egg.  I've been reading all I can find here and think I'm going to try the reverse sear.  I'm new at that, I must admit and a bit intimidated by the on/off and dramatic change in temp.  About how long to get a 4lb leg of lamb to say 120 (I think that's the target I want) before I raise the heat to sear?  I have no idea how long to plan for something like this on this piece of meat.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Steve

X/L BGE

Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Use the search function in the upper right portion of the forum home page and type in "leg of lamb".  You'll get lots of information there.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Candid answer...I cheat. Cook on the egg, sear after on the Weber Summit...works like a charm
    LBGE, Weber Summit 4 burner--Philadelphia, PA
    Syracuse U., Yankees, E-A-G-L-E-S

Old Indian saying...When riding a dead horse, by all means dismount...
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I've done maybe a dozen bone out lamb legs. Not sure what the weights were. Never seared them. I've just roasted them raised, indirect. Temp around 325F. Standard roasting times, 1/2 hour per pound. But they finish better when given some higher heat for the last 15 - 30 min.

I pay lots of attention to the coatings and stuffings. I've not had one that burnt the crusting when I finished the roasting near 400F. Some of the best have had were w. ground pistachio bits for a crust.

Make sure you've got some nice nibbles available to tide over the guests if thing run a little slow.
  • stevez
    stevez Posts: 122
    Thanks; and I have searched a lot, even under recipes and have found little in the way of "how to".  I just have never done a lamb on the Egg and wanted a little guidance.  Thanks for those that provided it.
    Steve

X/L BGE

Louisville, Kentucky