Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Pizza Ovens

Options
Not to re-kindle the discussions on pizza ovens  :) but I'm looking to build in one to an outdoor kitchen area (so not necessarily looking for the rockbox variety).  Originally I had heard great things about Forno Bravo and their modular kits, but my local BBQ store is trying to sell me on the Tuscan Chef pizza ovens (because they'll make a margin and the firebox is separate from the cooking surface).  

Not 100% sure on the exact models, but I'd assume that the Forno Bravo oven would be a Casa 90 and the Tuscan Chef Pizza oven would be a GX-C2.  Honestly, I probably have a bias toward the Casa 90 because it's more reminiscent of my time spent in Italy and the cooking temperatures are hotter, but I'm interested in hearing counterarguments.

Does anyone have any prior experiences with those ovens that they can offer?  Thanks!
DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I got nuthin', but paging @SciAggie...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I'd also go over to https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?board=47.0

Lot's of good info there. I used to hang out there a lot a few years ago when I was looking at getting a Blackstone.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    @HeavyG - thanks for the referral - I've kicked off a post on those forums as well :)  ANd @Carolina Q, thanks for the page - I've seen some of his outdoor spaces and they're phenomenal.
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I have the FB Casa 90 and I really am enjoying it. You can search through a few of my cooks and see what it can crank out. If I had it to do over I would get a 100 or a 110 cm oven.

It wasn't too challenging to assemble, but I will tell you the supplied instructions are not good. If you decide to build a FB oven, PM me and let's talk offline.

I think I would look at the Mugnaini oven kits as well. They seem to be popular. I don't have any comments about comparisons - I'm not familiar with the Tuscan Chef ovens.

I will say that you need to carefully consider what you want to cook. Pizzas and live fire don't demand the same thermal mass as an oven you want to bake in using residual heat. That could make a big difference in the style and cost of what you purchase.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Wanasmoke
    Wanasmoke Posts: 388
    Options
    I researched this for a few months and was set to put in a true brick oven like a forno bravo or mugnaini.  Then I got the "true" cost...not so much the oven cost but the structure to contain it.  Blew my mind!  Not wanting to give up I kept researching....came across Fontana Forni stainless ovens.  I am going to purchase the Mangifuoco in the coming weeks as we finish our patio project up this Spring.  

Cost is about 3k and it is made in Italy but has American support and inventory.  For a stand alone item it looks beautiful which is preferable to some of the cheaper looking competitors.  The oven heats quickly, is fired with wood and has good insulation to keep an environment hot enough to cook authentic pizza and other items.  

Disadvantage obviously is that it can't hold heat for the lengths of time that a masonry brick oven can but the cost is much more palatable to say the least.  They have a great Instagram feed where they show how to use the oven for all sorts of great recipes and they are super responsive to questions and comments.  I'm looking forward to getting it and will post what I can about the experience.  

If anyone has any experience or thoughts with this company or product please share.
    LBGE in Elm Grove, WI