Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - what’s to eat in Lexington?

Options
Teefus
Teefus Posts: 1,208
Bride of Teefus and I are contemplating a road trip to Northern KY in a few weeks in search of Bourbon, BBQ, and antiques. Any of y’all in the region that can suggest some good places to put on the feedbag or otherwise have a good time?  

Thanks in in advance for any suggestions. 
Michiana, South of the border.

Comments

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Tell me what you have in mind and I’ll run down your options. Lexington doesn’t have great restaurants but there are some good ones. Midway is 10-15 mi. west off of I64 with 2 very good restaurants. Heirloom and Holly Hill Inn. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Go to Lexington Barbeque to get some local BBQ. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    He’s talking KY not NC. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    UK right of passage greasy spoon where our fraternity paddle that bears my signature hangs is a must for great burgers and fries.  Used to be anyways. The Tolly Ho.  Nothing off the hook, just good hangover food.  Melvin Turpin almost lost his starting spot due to weight gain from eating here (the original location).  It nourished my soul on more than a few late nights. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GrillSgt
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Trust me Teefus you do not want to eat there. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    No comment on eateries in Lex but here's link to the bourbon trail that will get you well underway: https://kybourbontrail.com 
    And just outside Lex is this great eatery: http://www.wallacestation.com  
    Chamber of Commerce hat off.  Enjoy wherever you land.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GrillSgt
    edited March 2018
    Options
    It’s a fun little place near the aforementioned Midway. I find the sandwiches, basically all they have, way overloaded. Maybe that’s just me. It’s one of Ouita Michel’s restaurants. Her newest restaurant is Honeywood located in a urban development that has 25+ restaurants and probably that many retail outlets, along with a boutique hotel, condos and apartments. The wife and I eat there regularly. Great place for sharing, moderate wine list. The husband Chris is great with the value wines and has a really great list at the Holly Hill Inn. 
  • acmoser76
    acmoser76 Posts: 42
    Options
    Blue Door Smokehouse
    http://bluedoorsmokehouse.com

Some of the best brisket I've ever had.
    Indianapolis, IN
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    He’s talking KY not NC. 
    Oops!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    acmoser76 said:
    Blue Door Smokehouse
    http://bluedoorsmokehouse.com

Some of the best brisket I've ever had.
    It’s definitely the best Lex has to offer, only open for dinner on Fr Sa. Brisket is top notch, all meats are good, sides meh. 
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips. We should be well fed.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Lexington, TX is home to the #1 rated Snow's BBQ.   Make sure you only go on Saturday though.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Action_Hank
    Action_Hank Posts: 54
    edited March 2018
    Options

+votes for @GrillSgt,brent,acmo,&lous suggestions.  Lotta truth here...

Ramseys Diner is also a gem.  Get the hot brown (best ive had), prepare to nap the rest of the afternoon though…

Lol if you do end up at “The Ho”, make sure to tell them it’s your first time there! 

Idk if you can find goetta in your neck of the woods...  If not, I’d bring a cooler and pick some up in NKY.  Usually hard to find or overpriced outside of cincy.  Cooks up like breakfast sausage.  Sh*ts the best

PM if you have any specific questions or if your passing thru, odds are there’ll be something on the egg 

"It's not the beard on the outside that counts, its the beard on the INSIDE."

LBGE   -   Lexington, KY
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    We have decent BBQ at Hudson's in Lexington SC. Not best ever.....but better than that Lexington NC crap. =)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    The real Lexington is in NC, just saying.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    No. No. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Humm...Matt are you saying they built another Lexington someplace else?
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    piney said:
    Humm...Matt are you saying they built another Lexington someplace else?
    Yes sir.  They all want to be THE Lexington, NC, but they ain't.  

anyone GIF

People seem to enjoy their Q...

Image result for lexington bbq festival
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • FilterGeek
    Options
    If you head to Louisville there is a hole in the wall place called Hamerheads that was great BBQ.  

In the Lexington area, take the Distillery tours at both Woodford Reserve and at Buffalo Trace.  They are both close to Lex and close to each other.  Woodford has a better tour, but it was not free (Buffalo Trace was free).  I highly recommend both.