Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggs and decks

Options
swmbo and I are looking to buy a new built home sometime this year so the girls can have their own bedrooms. Just about every place we’ve looked at has a wooden deck. Is it possible at all to run an Egg on a wooden deck without the fear of burning the whole place down? I’ve just seen a horror story or two on here. Should I just nix that idea and always make sure my large is on the ground?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    As you are the one who has to address the fear factor, you are the one who needs to be comfortable with whatever mitigation measures you may want to use if on the deck.  I don't have a wooden deck so I'm not one to judge.  However, there are several here who do have the BGE on a wooden deck and hopefully will be along.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Captainjimpark
    Options
    Powak said:
    swmbo and I are looking to buy a new built home sometime this year so the girls can have their own bedrooms. Just about every place we’ve looked at has a wooden deck. Is it possible at all to run an Egg on a wooden deck without the fear of burning the whole place down? I’ve just seen a horror story or two on here. Should I just nix that idea and always make sure my large is on the ground?
    No worries here, I just keep an eye on things and make sure wherever an ember would fall out of the vent is a non flammable surface. Tile in this case.
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    I'm with @Captainjimpark on this one. No picture, but mine sits in a wooden table on a wooden deck. There is a large (20x20" maybe) tile under the egg and it extends out in front of the bottom vent. No issues but I do keep an eye on it. I do overnight cooks and lose no sleep over it...
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited February 2018
    Options
    There must be stairs down off the deck, just buy some paver stones and make a small landing for the grill
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Neighbors deck caught fire 4-5 hours after they were done grilling and long been asleep. They lost everything but a few boxes of pictures. I can't justify it in any way on the deck. Just my own personal opinion though 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    I set my deck on fire with an escaped ember from a Weber kettle after many years of no problems. My wife caught this in the middle of the night when she went to get a drink of water. I put it out, but it would have burned my house down if she didn't see it when she did. 

I had a slab poured and covered on the side of my house after that scary incident. I will not run a coal fired grill on a wood deck ever again. 

I'm not risking my house, even with small odds. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I heard about some guy once that actually lived in a WOOD house and had a GAS STOVE!!!  Talk about dumb!
    edited February 2018
    Options
    my eggs are on a composite deck, My house would have likely burned down 5 years ago when my table caught on fire if it (the deck) were wood. Melted a big hole in the composite but burned itself out before spreading. Still feel very lucky to this day. have no idea how it happened. Just came out the next morning and half my table was gone and there was hole melted in my deck. I do think this was more of a table issue than an egg issue. I moved to a nest and haven't had any problems since. I run a stick burner and pizza oven up there too. Living dangerously :)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • PoppasGrill
    Options
    Build a sandbox on the deck to put the grill in like they used to cook on the old wood ships.
  • tenpenny_05
    Options
    Before I got into kamados I had several instances where I caught a loose ember smoldering on my deck.  Gives you that terrible "I'm an idiot and that could have been bad" feeling.  But that was usually associated with weber smokers and chimney starters.
    Ever Since I had my Kamados, I have never once had an instance where loose embers were an issue. **knock on wood**
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • Meeeshigan22
    Options
    Mine is in a wood table on a wood deck but I don’t like it. Building a paved area off the deck, winter has slowed my progress however.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,185
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I used Ipe on our recent deck build. I wanted fire resistance but wanted the look and feel of wood. It wasn’t much more expensive than Trex. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    As I understand the story, Chris Capell (Dizzy Pig) was egging on his driveway, 10-15 feet from his open garage door. The fire marshall's guess was, an ember popped out, landed inside the garage and Chris lost his house.

But then again, nola says people have gas stoves in flammable houses so maybe it's ok.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    As I understand the story, Chris Capell (Dizzy Pig) was egging on his driveway, 10-15 feet from his open garage door. The fire marshall's guess was, an ember popped out, landed inside the garage and Chris lost his house.

But then again, nola says people have gas stoves in flammable houses so maybe it's ok.
    I called people with gas stoves in wood houses dumb.
    Options
    I rented a house with a wood deck but I used hardibacker (cement) board. This puts a little safety on your side.  You can't stop all of it, but you can mitigate it. 
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/James-Hardie-0-42-in-x-36-in-x-60-in-HardieBacker-Fiber-Cement-Backer-Board/3067737

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    If you have to egg on a wooden deck, after the cook, hose down the deck. No guarantee, but it can't hurt.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    You will never get over the fear. Alcohol can help. In all honesty it never bothered me until a few weeks ago as I used the last of a bag of RO and it had a lot of fine stuff in it. My mistake. When I closed the lid checking on the cook it ejected a shower of sparks through the screen, I was a bit freaked out. So no more fine stuff, Rockwood only and I will let it burn out when the lump is getting funky followed by a thorough vacuum. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I used Ipe on our recent deck build. I wanted fire resistance but wanted the look and feel of wood. It wasn’t much more expensive than Trex. 
    Love our Trex remodel upgrades. I know what we put into ours $$$ so IPE is more?  Crazy. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    If you have to egg on a wooden deck, after the cook, hose down the deck. No guarantee, but it can't hurt.
    :rofl:

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • baychilla
    Options
    I've been using my egg on a deck for about 10 years now.  I watch the sparks when lighting and then forget about it (granted I have a fireproof pad under it - sometimes).  The only real fire issue I'm concerned with is the dry @#$@ pine needles that clump on the model RR track.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    my eggs are on a composite deck, My house would have likely burned down 5 years ago when my table caught on fire if it (the deck) were wood. Melted a big hole in the composite but burned itself out before spreading. Still feel very lucky to this day. 
    I've always wondered what composite does when a hot ember lands on it, thanks for the info.  I ran my Eggs on a wood deck for a couple years, and now have a composite deck.  Always keep the bottom screen closed and inspected, but I'd always feared of the ceramic shattering while going (which has been reported here a couple times).  
    Life has its risks.  Many here are scared to deep-fry over the Egg, with the pot of hot oil over embers, yet I fry/stir-fry inside my wooden home, over a gas range, regularly.  fwiw.      

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I lived in a neighborhood that was deck central. All houses had at least one, and of course backed up to one another. 
    One neighbor, bought a screened fire pit. Caught two decks on fire. His and his next door neighbor. 
    Be safe.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Ask @Spaightlabs how that would work.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GrateEggspectations
    Options

Was it also Chris who got bit by the tick, resulting in the red meat allergy?

...Talk about bad luck....

:| 

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Ask @Spaightlabs how that would work.
    Doesn't work near as I can tell.  Our composite deck was soaking wet as was the wood of the table, at least the top.  Problem was that when the support members under the concrete paver started smoldering they just kept going and when the table failed it tipped towards the house, catching a resin box on fire which in turn caught the siding on fire and burned up into the eaves/attic.

We didn't have a huge margin of time to spare in getting out.

The new house and all new stuff are pretty nice though.  If the table had tipped to the south I would have had a broken egg and a burned table and that's all.

• Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    Sounds like egg’s going on a stone patio on the ground. I can’t risk that. I was more worried about the egg breaking apart on overnight smokes and didn’t even consider sparks.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Spaightlabs Curious. Wood table, stone paver (thickness?) & w/ or w/ an air gap. Could this have been preventable other than having the egg on a concrete slab.  I'm not an expert but, seems if there was no air gap that in itself was step 1.  

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Woodchunk said:
    There must be stairs down off the deck, just buy some paver stones and make a small landing for the grill
    This is what I did, I moved recently and no way I was cooking on the deck.
    At some point in the near future some concrete will get poured, but 4 20 inch pavers for now. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I don't worry a bit. All my cooks are supervised (no overnights). A garden hose is always at the ready. 

Michiana, South of the border.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I have a second driveway to my detached garage. My nest is ten feet in front of that garage on the concrete driveway. The dog door goes out to the wooden deck. 77 pound piggy dogs and grills are a bad combination. He can see the grill through a gate but not reach it.