Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Had my doubts, not sure why

Options
Recently did a pork butt overnight on the LGE. Used the Guru to hold 225. Don’t usually cook a butt that low but I wanted to see how well the egg would handle cooking overnight in really cold temps. Without windchill, temp that night was about 5 degrees F.  Not only did the egg hold temp but I had a ton of lump left over at the end of a roughly 16 hour cook. I loved cooking on my WSM, but it could not have finished the cook in that weather. You can see where ice formed anywhere there was condensation.  
2 Large Eggs    Oklahoma City,OK

Comments

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Been thinking about getting a BBQ Guru, this may have sealed the deal. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Great tool, poor support from manufacturer, in my experience, but works very well. 
    Working with the smobot now, and it seems promising thus far. The manufacturer service has been excellent.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DWFII
    DWFII Posts: 317
    edited February 2018
    Options
    What is that grid set-up?
    Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
    Instagram
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    Looks great. What is this poking up underneath the egg? Maybe I shouldn't ask.

XL BGE
    MD
  • SoCalSooner
    Options
    CGS AR it is. Never leaves my egg unless I’m doing pizzas. Butt on top setting with 13inch stone on bottom. The 13” stone allowed for a little more air flow with the low temp vs something with more indirect coverage. 
    @dsrguns That’s where I got a little drip of condensation and over night it froze. Kinda like an inverted ice cycle. 
    2 Large Eggs    Oklahoma City,OK
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    dsrguns said:
    Looks great. What is this poking up underneath the egg? Maybe I shouldn't ask.
      Looks like a stalagmite formed from condensation dripping off the Guru
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• DWFII
    DWFII Posts: 317
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Thanks...I didn't recognize it--the ones on the CGS are so shiny B) .
    Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
    Instagram
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Recently did a pork butt overnight on the LGE. Used the Guru to hold 225. Don’t usually cook a butt that low but I wanted to see how well the egg would handle cooking overnight in really cold temps. Without windchill, temp that night was about 5 degrees F.  Not only did the egg hold temp but I had a ton of lump left over at the end of a roughly 16 hour cook. I loved cooking on my WSM, but it could not have finished the cook in that weather. You can see where ice formed anywhere there was condensation.  
    I used to wrap my WSM in cold temps and had to make sure it was shielded from the wind in subzero temps or else it just ate lump.

The egg doesn't even know its cold outside.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    @dsrguns That’s where I got a little drip of condensation and over night it froze. Kinda like an inverted ice cycle. 
    That's a relief, I was thinking it was one of your thumbs.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• baychilla
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I thought someone lost a "toy".  That being said I'm curious to see how a Smobot compares to a blower system when used for a 225 cook in super cold temps.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    baychilla said:
    I thought someone lost a "toy".  That being said I'm curious to see how a Smobot compares to a blower system when used for a 225 cook in super cold temps.
    Let me know how it works for you in the cold. I love my smobot, but twice in cold temps (zero degrees, plus or minus 5) I lost the wifi connection to be able to make adjustments with my phone. It maintained the temp just fine and I could make adjustments manually, but it was a minor hiccup nonetheless.
    Stillwater, MN
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Man that 2nd pic is creepy!  Butt looks great though! 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • marine_man
    Options
    You may want to consider rotating your fan 180 degrees so the housing is above the vent... me and plenty of others have had issues with the fan freezing up in the down orientation in freezing weather; no issues with it the other way
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited February 2018
    Options
    You may want to consider rotating your fan 180 degrees so the housing is above the vent... me and plenty of others have had issues with the fan freezing up in the down orientation in freezing weather; no issues with it the other way
     I have always placed my blower horizontally instead of the vertical way the OP shows. I've never had a problem and when it rains or snows I wrap the blower with foil, but leave the bottom uncovered for it to draw air.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    baychilla said:
    HeavyG said:
    Did a brisket using a Smobot during the unusual cold spell (15F) for a 225F cook 16 hours. No issues. I have done more than a few with the digital quality in same temps, no issues either.
    Like the smobot for the remote control, display and notifications as well as customer service.
    Like the digi Q for dependability, when all probes are working. One thing though, direct sunlight on a hot day makes the micro processor do strange things. You have to keep it in the shade, and not let it overheat.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky