Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RR Brisket

Options

Getting ready to go on. 
Large and Small BGE
Central, IL

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Looks like you're well on your way to a great meal for tomorrow (or later today)!  Man, it's no longer Friday!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited February 2018
    Options

And we are off. Settled in around 270 dome. 

Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Best of results to come your way.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,348
    Options
    Likely way too late for this run, but next time I find that foil protecting the thin part of the flat for several hours into the cook does help with moisture retention.  Just enjoy the remainder of the cook and follow-on eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • saluki2007
    Options
    Just removed the roasting rack so it will lay flat. Temps dropped to 230. Back up to 270ish .

Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• saluki2007
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Likely way too late for this run, but next time I find that foil protecting the thin part of the flat for several hours into the cook does help with moisture retention.  Just enjoy the remainder of the cook and follow-on eats.
    @lousubcap Are you saying that you wrap the flat for a while first?  Never tried that. The last couple of briskets I've put foil under the grate where it over hangs to help block some of the direct heat. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    you will have to report back on the RR Choice vs Costco Prime.   
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I ensure any overhang has foil underneath as you describe, but I will wrap foil around the thin section of the flat for a few hours at the start of the cook.  Part to be foiled and duration always variable.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • saluki2007
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I ensure any overhang has foil underneath as you describe, but I will wrap foil around the thin section of the flat for a few hours at the start of the cook.  Part to be foiled and duration always variable.  FWIW-
    When you do this, do you eventually wrap the whole brisket or run naked the whole time ? @lousubcap
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Woodchunk
    Options
    Just removed the roasting rack so it will lay flat. Temps dropped to 230. Back up to 270ish .

Looks terrific
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I remove the foil from the flat at some point in the cook and run nekked for the duration.  I am lazy in that regard.  I have used butcher paper a couple of times just to check it out.  FWIW-
  • saluki2007
    edited February 2018
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I remove the foil from the flat at some point in the cook and run nekked for the duration.  I am lazy in that regard.  I have used butcher paper a couple of times just to check it out.  FWIW-
    Makes sense. I'm in the butcher paper crowd. Typically wrapped the whole thing around the 175ish mark for an hour or two and then throw back on naked to finish up. 

Just went out and wrapped the flat with a layer of BP and foil. Thanks for the tip. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• lousubcap
    Options
    Definitely gonna be worth it.  Enjoy the remainder of the cook and follow-on banquet.  
  • saluki2007
    Options
    And the wait begins .

Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Lookin' good brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Smokeydawg
    Options
    Looks great! Enjoy the meal!
    Dacula, GA       LG & MM BGE's   
  • saluki2007
    Options
    Only photo I got but the smoke ring was deep and pronounced. Would say I "nailed it". First time using black ops rub. That's a keeper. As far as the RR I was good. If I hadn't bought BOGO I would be a little upset. The Costco prime is better and much cheaper. That said, this didn't suck.  Honest opinion, I won't buy more even if BOGO.  I will still buy a SRF one day though, once the price is right .

Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• lousubcap
    Options
    Congrats on the cook and result.  I would say "nailed it', but can't since it has been taken.  Regardless, great outcome.  Great bark.  I'm sure all enjoyed the banquet.   

• saluki2007
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Congrats on the cook and result.  I would say "nailed it', but can't since it has been taken.  Regardless, great outcome.  Great bark.  I'm sure all enjoyed the banquet.   

Everyone loved it. Didn't get to let it rest as long as I wanted to (rest for almost 2 hours).  When your 2.5 year old is hungry and wants brisket, well you slice it up. My wife enjoyed it, and of course she is my toughest critic. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    Excellent looking brisket. 

I agree on the Black Ops - killer rub for briskets. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • baychilla
    Options
    Looks good, also nice to hear about the RR v. CostCo.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Great looking smoke ring.  Very nice.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Looks great!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Agree on the RR and BOGO and SRF, as covered here and elsewhere. I’ve got 2 blacks in the freezer just waiting for the right occasion. 

What wood did you use to get that mad ring?
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • saluki2007
    Options
    Agree on the RR and BOGO and SRF, as covered here and elsewhere. I’ve got 2 blacks in the freezer just waiting for the right occasion. 

What wood did you use to get that mad ring?
    @HendersonTRKing I used Rockwood charcoal and a piece of hickory and a few burboun barrel chuncks. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL