Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quality cooking pans

Hey all-

I was researching good pans.. I have all clad, but while it looks nice it's a PITA. The pans have always stuck, etc.  We usually cycle through cheap nonstick pans, and want to have better pans.  I've been using heavily seasoned cast iron, but it's heavy and I'm lazy.. That stuff takes upkeep.  

In my search, I landed on carbon steel pans, specifically from deBuyer.  The small pan is seasoned just like cast iron, but half the weight.  The large 11" skillet seems to weigh as much as  cast iron.  Wtf.

Should I buy thinner steel? Are there good and lighter pans out there?. These deBuyer pans are neat, brown well, etc, but I can't flick these heavy suckers like I'd like too.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.

Comments

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    I have all clad copper core and just bought two more to replace some non-all clad I wanted to get rid of. If you are having probs with food sticking with the all clad, have you thought about changing technique? It looks like your range is all gas. Gas plus layered stainless should be a winning combo.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited January 2018
     I have All-clad Stainless, Mauviel commercial duty tin-lined copper, Lodge carbon steel and vintage cast iron. The ones I reach for most often are the All-Clads and the Lodge. I hear the carbon steel pans from Matfer Bourgeat are the best.

Edit: Forgot about the Le Creuset set. Almost never use them, except the DO.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    My lovely wife cleans our all clad with scouring  pads and bar keepers friend so they still look new.  They stick so well it's amazing.. Anything can stick. It's the exact opposite of a infomercial.

My good sir, are you saying I can simply let the all clad get a seasoning layer on it an I'm ok?
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    edited January 2018
    I have switched to solely All-Clad.  I had issues in the beginning, mostly due to running heat to high, these don't need the high heat of cheaper pans.  I also use a real thin coating of oil in the bottom (olive, crisco, butter, chicken fat, etc). Now I love the pans.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    I just mean that food sticking in a stainless pan comes down to cooking technique (not cleaning technique).

Get your pan up to temp, then add the oil (if any). You should see less sticking this way. Use silicon spatulas, etc.

I'm no expert but those tips seem to work for me.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Carolina Q
    I don't know. My All-Clad pans clean easily and look like new. The fry pan is getting a bit distressed in the outside. Character...

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I use All-clad and have zero sticking issues. Food is sticking because you're likely putting it into a cold pan/cold oil. 
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited January 2018
    Ditto @Eggcelsior. I use the old All-Clad LTD, which has anodized (dark) exteriors that never look stained. Clean-up on the SS inside is a snap.

As for sticking...my young adult grandson lives with me and he had to learn to cook. I bought him a big cheap skillet after I saw him turn the heat up to a blast. So is that a guy thing--using high heat? Once I got him to control his pyromaniac inclinations he's turned into a first-class chef. There is no sticking problem if you use oil or some lubricant and moderate heat.

And let the food caramelize before flipping! That's another thing I had to show him...hold off on the flipping! Sometimes you have to pry a little with the metal spatula, but that means Maillard is working.
    Judy in San Diego
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    whatever pan you use the most, season it and dont let anybody scour it clean, even the stainless one. stainless can be seasoned just like carbon steel and cast iron. there seems to be two things you cant teach about pans, one is keeping it seasoned, the other is starting with a hot pan before adding food. google seasoning a stainless pan, its out there ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    I too have All-Clad LTD as my primary pots and pans.  Wish they still made them.  They are around 25 years old now and still are in great shape and work well.  I expect that they will easily outlast me. I have a teflon coated T-Fal pan for eggs and am all set.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Carolina Q
    I too have All-Clad LTD as my primary pots and pans.  Wish they still made them.  They are around 25 years old now and still are in great shape and work well.  I expect that they will easily outlast me. I have a teflon coated T-Fal pan for eggs and am all set.
    @jtcBoynton, They still sell the LTD line. Might have been redesigned though. Not sure. 
    http://www.all-clad.com/Collection/ltd_collection

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    Is the all clad ltd worth the price?

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I agree on the importance of heating the pan before putting the meat in it, and then NOT touching it until it has seared on that side.  

Paul Prudhomme used to have a recipe for chicken breasts where he made a big point of how you don't need any fat in the pan, and for chicken breasts!  Even in a stainless steel pan, he insisted that if you get the pan hot enough (so a drop of water turns into little mini-droplets that dance around the pan), then put the chicken in and WAIT until it has seared on that side, it will start pulling away from the pan on its own.  It works really well!  It's not non-stick, in that there will be a little brown stuff on the bottom of the pan, but it'll come off easily with some hot water.

There are a few things I do have trouble with sticking, and I use a non-stick pan for, especially things like vegetarian burgers (my diet varies, sometimes eat meat, sometimes eat vegan), but in general, I use stainless pots and pans (Demeyere Atlantis, made for induction).
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    kweitz said:
    Is the all clad ltd worth the price?
    I don't think so. I have a few All Clad pieces that are a couple decades old. Good stuff but I never really liked the handles that are on mine.

Cuisinart came out with their "MultiClad Pro" stuff which is a tri-ply throughout the whole pot and is easily as good as my All Clad stuff. I've got 5 or 6 of the MCP stuff and have been very satisfied with it. Not sure if they still make it or how the price compares to current All Clad but you may want to check it out.

Overcame my laziness to check Amazon before posting...

I have a 4 qt Cuisinart MCP pan -https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B009W28NLK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It looks like this All Clad is the equivalent line - https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004T6PS9O/ref=twister_B00WJYS246?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

So...$50 vs $200. I have no idea if either brand is still made the same as the ones I have. I do notice that the All Clad still has the same handle as my pieces.

Anyway, I think the Cuisinart MCP is worthy of consideration.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Carolina Q
    If you want All-Clad, check at Home Goods and Marshall's from time to time. They often have AC pieces (seconds) at substantial discounts. Or used to anyway, I haven't looked in quite a while. Most of mine came from there and I was never able to determine why they were seconds. I think I paid about $40 for a 10" polished stainless fry pan. Amazon has 'em for about $80 now. 

Also, if you're going to be in Pittsburgh for any reason, I believe their factory is nearby. They supposedly have good prices there.

Re Cuisinart, I don't have any of the tri-ply stuff, but I do have a 12 qt stainless stockpot. Single layer wall with the aluminum sandwiched bottom. Seems well made.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jtcBoynton
    @jtcBoynton, They still sell the LTD line. Might have been redesigned though. Not sure. 
    Thanks for the update.  Last time I looked they were not being offered.  They definitely have been redesigned - different handles, different covers, and flared edges.  Number of pieces is much more limited than it used to, but worth keeping an eye on to see if they offer other pieces in the future.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Carolina Q
    Thanks for the update.  Last time I looked they were not being offered.  They definitely have been redesigned - different handles, different covers, and flared edges.  Number of pieces is much more limited than it used to, but worth keeping an eye on to see if they offer other pieces in the future.

I read somewhere that they did in fact discontinue LTD, but brought it back due to popular demand.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    If you want All-Clad, check at Home Goods and Marshall's from time to time. They often have AC pieces (seconds) at substantial discounts. Or used to anyway, I haven't looked in quite a while. Most of mine came from there and I was never able to determine why they were seconds. I think I paid about $40 for a 10" polished stainless fry pan. Amazon has 'em for about $80 now. 

Also, if you're going to be in Pittsburgh for any reason, I believe their factory is nearby. They supposedly have good prices there.

Re Cuisinart, I don't have any of the tri-ply stuff, but I do have a 12 qt stainless stockpot. Single layer wall with the aluminum sandwiched bottom. Seems well made.
    I have seen them recently at Marshall's and Tuesday Mornings along with Lodge stuff.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    We have the Caph Tri Ply. I really like it. I didn’t want All Clad because of the cost and I wanted something that I didn’t feel bad about abusing. 
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    We have a combo of Descoware, Caph Tri, Berndes, various cast iron, and All-Clad.

I've been eying a move to induction cooking.  My All-Clad copper pans will not work but, thankfully, my All-Clad stainless will!!

My lovely spousal unit is an avid fan of the dishwasher... I mark ALL of my pans "NO DISHWASHER" and take responsibility to clean them with every cook.
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Love my Berndes 8” non-stick for eggs.  Bought it in 2010, still a joy to use.  Just a short, sharp pull and a flick of the wrist flips the eggs.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    edited January 2018
    I've been wanting to pull the trigger on an All Clad D5 set. You people do nothing but cost me $$$  =)

Still don't know if I can justify the cost or rather SWMBO will approve 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• jtcBoynton
    ColtsFan said:
    I've been wanting to pull the trigger on an All Clad D5 set. You people do nothing but cost me $$$  =)

As far as the cost, divide the cost by 50 to get the yearly cost of having quality cookware. It really doesn't seem too bad when you know that this cookware will outlast you.  I have had mine for a quarter century and they still cook like new.  The pain of the cost is long gone.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    ColtsFan said:

I went with the D5, love it.