Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Hacking advice wanted

Options
Hungry Joe
Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
edited January 2018 in EggHead Forum
I woke up this morning to see someone made an ebay account that used my debit card, my name, address and phone number and purchased a laptop. The charge was pending in my checking account. I contacted my bank and canceled my debit card and locked down my checking account. The charge says Pay Pal but nothing is showing on that account and I talked with Pay Pal about this. Ebay says it's just a "thing" people do and you don't need a Pay Pal account to make it appear that way on a charge. This has me confused.

Here is where I'm also baffled. The laptop is being delivered to me, supposedly. I doubt that is what is coming but I have a tracking number. I was able to log into the ebay account since they used my email address and change the password for it. I contacted ebay and closed the account. What are they trying to do here? Using my money to send something to me?  I'm feeling it's a test to see where they can get away with.

I'm still not sure where they got all the information from but to me I need to take steps to stop this in it's tracks.

I've already locked down all my credit after the Equifax thing last Fall. My bank is aware and debit card is closed. Ebay is not all that much help so far but they are looking into the account and say they should be able to tell where the account was made from. I'm thinking this is someone who knows what they are doing and it's not going to be easy for Ebay to track them. It's only a little more then two hundred dollars right now. 

For now I'm keeping a close eye on everything but wanted see if anyone might have some insight on the scam being pulled on me that might give me a heads up on what to do next.

Thanks.

Comments

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    They plan on stealing the delivery from your doorstep. Nice guys watching your house.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I don’t have any advice beyond what you’ve done, but $200 for a laptop is pretty good.
  • Hungry Joe
    Options
    It's actually a piece of crap laptop running Windows 7. Dell Latitude E7440. I'm worried about how they got all my information and what their next move is.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Dobie said:
    They plan on stealing the delivery from your doorstep. Nice guys watching your house.

Interesting thought.  Maybe let the purchase go through and make some teeth imprints on a Louisville slugger?

Thieves are scum.

Phoenix 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Well, even if it arrives, I wouldn’t turn it on, who knows what’s loaded on it.  Is the seller a business?  Have you contacted them?
  • Hungry Joe
    Options
    Legume said:
    Well, even if it arrives, I wouldn’t turn it on, who knows what’s loaded on it.  Is the seller a business?  Have you contacted them?

I'm letting Ebay handle the seller's end. I did look up the name and town where the shipping label was created and found a match.
  • DFW
    DFW Posts: 208
    Options
    I like the Louisville slugger advice...imprint their teeth on the business end of a bat.  Then drag their sorry @$$ up and really kick the sh@t outta of 'em.......
    Arlington, TX
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Ebay/PayPal is really difficult to work with and does not give a crap about what happens to you. Protect yourself with your bank, you are their customer. You can notify the local PD if you suspect criminals are using your home as a dropoff/pickup spot for mail fraud.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    blasting said:
    Dobie said:

Interesting thought.  Maybe let the purchase go through and make some teeth imprints on a Louisville slugger?

Thieves are scum.

It’s more than a thought it’s a real scam. The scam artist has the tracking info and is waiting to swipe the goods. Then leaves the victim to explain it all making them look like they’re pulling a fast one. It was on the local news a while back
    Jacksonville FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Feel a need to comment as in a prior life I oversaw manufacturing the Louisville Slugger wood bats-and yes it will have solid impact (go with ash wood as the maple could break after the first pass ;) ).  What a friggin mess- have read your post a few times and I'm not sure their intended gain unless it is to test "the system."
    However you get there I hope the ba$tards get caught and hammered.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I agree @Dobie. I have a couple of e-commerce sites, and it is shocking at the lengths crooks will go to in order to steal something. It used to be as long as the billing and shipping address matched you were good to ship without worry of fraud. 

Now you can't even trust that. What Dobie mentioned is actually happening. An order will come in and the billing and shipping addresses will match and a crook will actually camp out in front of your house and steal the package. Even if it is signature required they will sometimes catch the delivery guy in the street and sign for it and take off. 

I hope you get this sorted out. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Hungry Joe
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'll be going to file a police report tomorrow. 
    I do know that having my debit card number and being able to use it is worth a lot more then a $200 laptop.

I'll be tracking the package also. I really do hope no one tries to come on my property to try and pick it up, if it even shows up at this point. I don't believe it would end well for anyone. I will be smart about it.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options

I'll be tracking the package also. I really do hope no one tries to come on my property to try and pick it up, if it even shows up at this point. I don't believe it would end well for anyone. I will be smart about it.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Maybe it was SWMBO
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Contact whatever company listed in the tracking number, and tell them this is a fraud and you will not accept delivery.

USPS will certainly return an item to sender that is unopened.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Simple question. What is the advantage of using a debit card? Not that a credit card can’t be hacked, I’ve had it happen several times. I use a credit card because I get something every time I use them. 
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    Most likely a "test" to see if it's valid information and if your card works. They will use this info to move on to larger purchases next. Similar situation happened to me where they went from a $5 purchase to a $2,000 transfer in a matter of 30 minutes
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Simple question. What is the advantage of using a debit card? Not that a credit card can’t be hacked, I’ve had it happen several times. I use a credit card because I get something every time I use them. 
    Agree totally. I had a similar incident happen today me two years ago. Since that day I have used my credit card for everything , and get tons of points /cash back. It’s very unsettling for people to have direct access to your bank account via your debit card. With Credit cards, it’s not your money. Just don’t spend any more than you normally would with debit card pay it off each month .
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Options
    Depending upon the company delivering the laptop, the scumbags could request a change of address from your address and have it rerouted to another city.
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    Stoogie said:
    Depending upon the company delivering the laptop, the scumbags could request a change of address from your address and have it rerouted to another city.
    Couldn't he change the delivery to some one he trusts in a more secluded area of the city since he has the tracking number? Might make identification of the miscreants/scum easier for the local PD.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Hungry Joe
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    I don't want to post any leads here but I have a reason to use this debit card. Lets just say it is so I don't use my main credit card. Pay Pal has been a very secure option in the past.
  • Hungry Joe
    edited January 2018
    Options
    When buying things online I don't like giving information to some web sites. They are more likely to be hacked. Using Pay Pal separates me from putting my credit card information on every site I make purchases at. 

I have to mentioned, every time I had a problem, PayPal has been very fast and never let me down. 

Also, in this instance, even though PayPal was listed on my bank statement, nothing is showing up in my PayPal account. I don't know how this is  even showing there.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    We had Macy’s cards that only got used at Macy’s. Hacked twice even after cancelling the card after the first. Dropped them. Chase card hacked a few weeks ago. Chase texted me right away and asked if I charged 500+ someplace. I called and they said they went for 40, 3000 and a buck for a cup of coffee. LOL. All of my credit cards have notice that no charge from outside the US be accepted without prior permission. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    When i saw the thread title, I thought OP was looking for advice on how to get into hacking.  What might be some beginner/easy targets, how to create ransomware, etc.  

Sorry this happened to you Hungry Joe!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    good it was caught in time.  my card gets shut down routinely, every couple weeks or so, pain in the arse.  its common for me to be in 3 states a day as its just a 20 minute drive, it triggers the card shutdown.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    I don't have anything to input on your specific situation, but my bank has an option where I get a notification every time my debit card is charged. My wife and I have had our information stolen at least 4 times in the past year. Have had to make a conscious effort to only use the ATM at our bank and always pay for gas inside. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    We had this happen once with a debit card. My husband checks our account every day, and caught a charge at some sports place in Florida for about $10. Called bank, who told us they were testing the card-at any moment they could start racking up charges. He shut down the card and got us a new one just in time. It has also happened with a credit card. Scary.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    @Hungry Joe I had this same thing happen  a couple months back. Someone opened a charge card @Wal-Mart with a 300.00 limit and maxed it out, opened up a charge card @Nordstroms with a 3000.00 limit and maxed it out, charged twice 800.00 on my personal credit card to homedepot.com. All items were to be shipped to my address so I figured when someone comes to grab them off my deck... I got 'em! Wrong! What happens is they will contact FedEx, UPS, USPS, etc and change delivery address to where they want it to go. I contacted the local Sheriff's dept and they tracked this down to an apt. in Monroe, NC with a girl from Poland repackaging the items and sending them to Russia. (No.. Trump had nothing to do with it). We also learned that my info was stolen from an account linked to Amazon. I had bought (and never received) another Anova Sous Vide from a 3rd party on Amazon and they were located in Russia, so there goes the ID! Hey man, they have ALL my info, name, DOB, address, SS#, everything! Good Luck on this and watch where you use your info.  
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Hungry Joe
    Options
    I just can't think of a place where my debit card number, along with the email address they used could be connected. Ebay was hacked in 2014 and at that time had all the information they used to create the Ebay account except my debit card number. Pay Pal had everything but the email address that was used.
    I've used the debit card at reputable sites on it's own without Paypal but never used that email address and rarely do any more because it's not attached to my phones gmail account. The debit card is about 3 years old. That email is basically only used for facebook, which I never use for anything and other forums where I don't want to be bothered with seeing a lot of junk coming from and other sites that I don't want to be bothered by.

It's just not adding up to me how this debit card number got attached to that email.

I've deleted the made up Ebay account and my real Ebay account. I haven't seen much benefit in using it for a few years now.

• reinhart36
    Options
    Stoogie said:

Yep - this is what they do.  I had this almost exact same thing happen to me, except it was a nice, expensive laptop.

The crooks opened some special UPS account in my name that was supposed to give them the benefit of rerouting to a different address after shipped.  But, they failed to get that through and the stuff arrived at my house.