Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: John Young's last ride to heaven.

berndcrisp
berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
edited January 2018 in EggHead Forum
The definition at NASA of 'true pioneer' has passed on, John Young, he will RIP in the heavens!!
Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited January 2018
    Wow! My old space heroes are moving on. John and the rest of the astronauts of his time were real deal badasses.  :)

Godspeed, John Young!   
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,895
    John was the speaker at my graduation from the first Advanced Undersea Weapons School at NTSC Orlando. Worked at KSC and would sometimes get his mail and the occasional phone call requesting an autographed color photo of him. Never sent one but got a kick out of that. Dang, sorry to hear he is gone.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    I hadn't heard that yet. Thanks ...I just now smiled with great memories of him... All the years later somehow I have always remembered  2 favorite things about him... He bootlegged a ham sandwich aboard an Apollo spacecraft once.  And then the one of him walking around the shuttleafter landing it...after the first  ever manned shuttle flight....a true hero with huge cujones.
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,319
    @berndcrisp - thank you for the alertment as I had not heard of it on the MSM.  Any astronaut had ice water in their veins-his may have run a few degrees cooler.  Definitely at the vanguard of the astronaut corps.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Sux to hear that 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Only astronaut that was any calmer when it counted was Gordon Cooper. John was great and a great friend to many of us at JSC.  He was a really good engineer also.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    There's a spy satellite launching from Cape Canveral tonight at 2000.  RIP.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    thetrim said:
    There's a spy satellite launching from Cape Canveral tonight at 2000.  RIP.
    Hopefully won't cause the widespread panic that a Space-Ex launch caused in CA.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=space-ex+launch+causes+panic
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    I grew up in Orlando and when John Young manned the Gemini with Gus Grissom in 1965, our high school was let out and marched down Edgewater Drive and then back.  On the route was a pool hall and several of us ducked in, shot a couple of games, smoked a couple of cigarettes and rejoined the parade on the return. 

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    Webass said:
    I grew up in Orlando and when John Young manned the Gemini with Gus Grissom in 1965, our high school was let out and marched down Edgewater Drive and then back.  On the route was a pool hall and several of us ducked in, shot a couple of games, smoked a couple of cigarettes and rejoined the parade on the return. 
    I feel confident that up in heaven ,John Young smiled at your post .... Although I was never in his league, I sure did!
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !