Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brine for Pork Butts

Options
I tried searching the forum but couldn't find any examples of brining pork butts.   Since the turkey turned out so well and I have the food-safe 5 gallon bucket laying around, I figured I'd throw a couple butts in it before they smoke this weekend. 

I'm hesitant to make things too complicated, as one of the best things about PP is how easy it is. 

Has anyone taken the time to brine their pork butts?  If so, is it worth it?   Thinking about Alton Brown's molasses brine - basically just salt, water & molasses. 

If you think it improves the taste I'll give it a shot.  
Milton, GA 
XL BGE & FB300

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I use Alton Brown's and love it.  His rub is legit too.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pulled-pork-recipe-1914045
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Two butts, sounds like you're set up for a head to head.  Why not brine one and compare?
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    @bgebrent is the brine your preferred method if you have time?  Does it just make it juicier? 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • bgebrent
    Options
    I've done it both ways as have several other forum members and the consensus was brining produced a tastier, moist result.  As @Legume suggests, do 2 head to head and see what you think.  Have fun.
  • Markarm4119
    Options
    Kosher salt, water, Brown sugar 
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Brining makes it better. I haven’t had a situation where brined meat wasn’t better. Do it if you can. But PP is good either way. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Brining is a game changer.  Ask @YukonRon.  Next level if you're willing to make the simple effort.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    @GoooDawgs
    No way I will ever do a pork butt without brining. I was turned on to Alton Brown's method, and Brent absolutely speaks the truth.
    Simple process, for far superior results.
    Nobody I know, that uses the brining method that @bgebrent recommends, will ever cook a butt without it.
    Two words: The Best....no wait....ok?  Three Words: The Best Ever.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GoooDawgs
    Options
    Good deal, @YukonRon - I'm sold.  Do you go 24 hours with the brine?  I read Alton says not to use a rub with salt afterwards, do you find that to be true?  My go-to is a 50/50 rub of Bad Byrons and Brown Sugar. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • YukonRon
    Options
    I have gone as short as 8 hours due to poor planning on my part. It was still much better than not brining. Typically I target 24.
    I use Pig Dust with a 20-25% brown sugar  rub.
    Then, I slather it in Peach preserves, and smoke with peach wood.
    It is delicious. Our daughter, who refused to eat pulled pork, grabs it by the handful and shoves it in her mouth. She says it is the best food she has ever had.
    Add the remaining peach preserves to your sugar based red sauce, for an over the top taste experience.
    Hope this helps. Go Dawgs.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Brine 24-48 is ideal.  Ron's peach preserves and peach wood smoke is killer.  I like Altons rub a lot and is salt free.  If you're brining, that's all the salt you need.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

+1 on the Alton's brine.  Kinda funny - I didn't know we all used the same one.  His rub is good too, as Brent said.  

Ron got me onto the peach preserves, and I will vouch for it being killer.  I add some jalapeno juice to the preserves for a twist.

I've done several head to head taste tests, and brining always wins out, assuming you've got advance notice.
    Phoenix 
  • GoooDawgs
    Options
    Another vote here for @YukonRon's peach preserves.    I usually put the preserves on the last half hour, but I'll try starting the cook out with them.    Thanks for the tips guys.
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Would injection be an option as well?
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    dstearn said:
    Would injection be an option as well?
    My sample group was small (4), but I did a comparison between brined and injected.  Lily injection, Brown Brine - everything else the same.  Both were good, but the brined won unanimously.  
    Phoenix 
  • GaryLange
    Options
    I have been using Myron Mixon's method for doing the Pork Butts which is an injection mixture and then a Rub. Works fine and the Butts turn out awesome for me.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    never brine but sometimes inject a vinegar sauce a few hours before its done cooking. gives it more a whole hog type cook flavor
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    I brine every time, but I dry brine. Heavily salt, sit overnight in the fridge. I may try Alton's wet brine because I am a sucker for molasses.
    Toronto ON
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I use Alton Brown's and love it.  His rub is legit too.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pulled-pork-recipe-1914045
    I looked at the recipe. There were a number of reviews that complained that the finished cook was too salty.
    • 8 ounces or 3/4 cup molasses
    • 12 ounces pickling salt
    • 2 quarts bottled water
    • 6 to 8 pound Boston butt
    @bgebrent , do you follow this recipe? is the pickling salt measured by weight or volume?

Thanks

• bgebrent
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I follow the recipe.  Exception is usually more h2O is needed to cover the butts in my container.  Therefore the salt concentration is diminished a bit.  I use tap water.  Salt measure is by weight.  I've not found it to be too salty.  @GregW.
  • BierMugg
    Options
    Did this yesterday and it was amazing. Brined the butt for 40 hours and the 
    Peach preserves was a homerun. The bark was salty because the rub I used had salty in it. Ron what rub do you use ?
  • YukonRon
    Options
    BierMugg said:
    Did this yesterday and it was amazing. Brined the butt for 40 hours and the 
    Peach preserves was a homerun. The bark was salty because the rub I used had salty in it. Ron what rub do you use ?
    I have been using a rub that Michael -@DoubleEgger had turned me on to called Pig Dust, and I add just a little bit of sugar with it.
    Since using that rub, the flavor profile has been cranked up considerably. It is now my go to for Pork. FYI: There is also a Cow Dust, that just flat out rocks the brisket and other beef roasts. Again, thanks to Michael, I am now hooked on it.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • BierMugg
    Options
    Is it Kellys Pig Dust ?  I used Dizzy Pig dust. 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    BierMugg said:
    Is it Kellys Pig Dust ?  I used Dizzy Pig dust. 
    I dunno, I will post an image when I get back home little bit later this morning. I have a difficult time remembering things.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GoooDawgs
    Options
    @GregW FWIW, when I did the AB recipe I did find it too salty for my taste.  I have since decreased the salt (nearly in half) and slightly increased the molasses.   it's now nearly a 1 to 1 ratio of pickling salt to molasses for me.

I've done my last 5 or 6 butts like this and they come out great.   It's a little more work, but produces great results.   I haven't tried a non-brined butt in a while,  but will admit I miss the simplicity of just taking a butt out of the cryo, slapping on the rub and throwing it on the egg! 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @GoooDawgs I've done the AB recipe and found that I don't really care for it.
    I'm back to the regular rubbed recipe that I use. It's far simpler.
  • gtcharlie
    Options
    Question-  is there a major difference between pickling and kosher salt?  Have the latter on hand and was thinking of using that instead.  
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Options
    In the video, AB says that he uses pickling salt because it dissolves better in cold water.  
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    gtcharlie said:
    Question-  is there a major difference between pickling and kosher salt?  Have the latter on hand and was thinking of using that instead.  
    Pickling salt aka canning salt is very fine vs. kosher which is very coarse. I use a simple bring recipe of 2T canning salt, 2T of white sugar, 1 quart of cold water. Last night I cut that recipe in half and the egged a 1 pound pork loin after brining it for 2 hours. It came out WONDERFUL! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • gtcharlie
    Options
    Stoogie said:
    In the video, AB says that he uses pickling salt because it dissolves better in cold water.  

I am thinking I will probably be alright with my kosher salt then.   I have the Diamond kosher on hand which is finer than Mortons and dissolves very well in water.  Will try it and report back.