Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to Big Green Egg, need help please

Options
 How should I configure charcoal for long slow cooks vs. Short high temp cooks? And for pizza?

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Welcome to the forum!  It is all the same really.  Fill up the lump charcoal to the top of the fire ring.  The amount of air you allow in controls how hot the egg gets.  When you are done with your cook, close all vents and the fire will go out.  Lump saved to cook your next meal.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Charcoal configuration is the same.

vent position will control airflow, which controls temps.

welcome and happy egging 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • jackiediles
    Options
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  
    Given the BGE is air-flow driven, the amount of fuel in the tank does not equate to speed down the road.  You control your car's speed with the accelerator-air-flow is the accelerator with the BGE.  So load it up as above and give the search function a look for many topics; lighting, controlling temperature etc.  But since I'm here and it is Tuesday...

Here’s a link to all things ceramic-chances are if you have a question the answer is within this site somewhere.  Check out the recipe section for some great ideas.  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm

For additional links to cooking/recipe sites; here are two very good ones, depending what you are cooking:  This site contains a wealth of the science behind Q cooking along with info on about every type of meat cook you would attempt: http://amazingribs.com/

Here’s the second one:  http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/

After-market toys- With the BGE there are three basic styles of cooking;  “direct”-where the cooking grid is on top of the fire ring; “raised direct”-where the grid is elevated at least to the gasket-line (this setup requires after-market stuff-easiest is to get another grid and then use three fire bricks (or three empty aluminum beer cans) and place them on the grid at the fire ring and then put the second grid on top. The third is “indirect” where there is a heat deflector (platesetter or some other type stone) between the burning lump and the cooking grid.  This is the setup for low&slow long duration cooks.  I would get comfortable playing around with the BGE before any major after-market investments.  Will save you $$ in the long run.

Some observations-make sure you calibrate your dome thermo-boil some water, then insert the thermo and check the temp.  If not around 210*F, then note the off-set and use the nut on the back to correct.  Then recheck.

Temperature is a controlled by the volume of lump burning.  The volume is controlled by the air-flow thru the BGE.  In thru the bottom vent and out the top.  Make sure when you set it up that the fire box opening is aligned with the lower vent. 

When adjusting the vent(s) to change temperature, the feedback loop can take some time.  Changes in air-flow are reflected in the dome thermo temp.  Don’t chase temperature; +/- 10-15*F is close enough.

“Stable temperature” is a relative term.  Means you haven’t moved the vents and the temperature is steady for anywhere from 30-60 minutes.

That's more than enough for one night.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    This is vastly different from kettle cooking. Does your dealer do cooking demos or have any experience? They should be able to help you get started with some hands on tips in the store. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Here is a pretty good pic.  I fill mine about like this.  For a long low and slow, I may fill it more. 

I Raichlened this pic from here:
    https://winnipeggheads.com/2014/04/18/how-to-light-the-big-green-egg/#jp-carousel-3674

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Start here. Take several hours and read through some great info put together over years.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    "Raichlened" is now a verb.  F'n love it @kl8ton
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    Options
    Legume said:
    "Raichlened" is now a verb.  F'n love it @kl8ton
    A true raichlened photo has no credit though.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va