Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey day plus travel = Skin question

Options
Nicky2Feet
Nicky2Feet Posts: 2
edited November 2017 in Poultry
So, I’ve searched through the posts and haven’t found a definitive answer. 

I will be dry brining a turkey (for 2-3 days) and then smoking it the morning of thankskiving. Then we will drive 30 minutes to my in laws house and probably won’t eat for another hour or so. Maybe 2. My question is, is there any chance of having crispy skin? Last year, no luck. But I’m pretty sure I cooked at lower temps, and it sounds like that won’t do the trick. No problem cooking higher but if there’s no chance with the travel and wait variables, then i’ll Likely stick with low and slow for better meat flavor/texture.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    If you air-dry the turkey overnight in the fridge before cooking, then you should have crispy skin regardless of cook temp. You can also dust lightly with corn starch to further help with the skin texture that you will get at the close of the cook.  
    The challenge you have is the finish to slice and eat time.  Given the wide window you are facing, I would not worry about the transport and skin but see if you can't toss it into an oven to tighten up the skin before carving/serving.
    I would cook as you want and adapt to the down-stream issues as they arise.  
    Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth-  The bird will taste great and will be quite moist compliments of the BGE.
    BTW- Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    couple thoughts......I would not brine a turkey already injected.....most store bought turkeys are injected.  are you smoking or grilling indirect.  smoking to me means sub 300°F cooking temps => low and slow.  it's hard to smoke and get crispy skin on poultry. I mention these for others reading and are new to turkey and EGG.

keeping a bird warm (above 140°F) for a couple hours and skin crisp is a tough one.  Everything you do to keep the bird warm plays havoc on keeping the skin dry and crisp.

If you are looking to eat the skin and it's not about bird presentation, then the only real thing to do is shed the skin when carving and zap it under the broiler at in-laws to reheat and dry.  Bird will be naked but, if you think about it, most turkey when it actually hits our plates is missing skin, especially the dark meat. 

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.