Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse seared rib-eye with an enhanced Madeira and mushroom sauce

Options
Stormbringer
Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
edited November 2017 in EggHead Forum
It was SWMBO's birthday during the week, and she asked for some reverse seared steak. No problem! She cooked her signature Madeira and mushroom sauce, adding some Dizzy Pig Red-Eye Express. Wow, what a (positive) difference! It paired perfectly with the Cow Lick rubbed steak. Served with triple cooked duck fat chips and fresh peas. Sauce recipe here:

https://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk/2017/09/29/madeira-and-mushroom-steak-sauce/

Searing in the MMX:

Ready to be plated:

Plated ... yummy:

With the sauce:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

Comments

• UNCHeels08
    UNCHeels08 Posts: 116
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Looks awesome! Those pics should be in a magazine.

Intrigued by that sauce as well. 
    Raleigh, NC

LBGE
  • Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    Looks amazing, I am a big fan of mushrooms. I need to try that sauce.
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Steaks look perfectly cooked i bet she was happy with you!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    You have flat out brought it again! Steaks have a great mahogany lacquer look to them. Outstanding! 
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    Man, that looks perfect!
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • Stormbringer
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Thanks folks.

@pgprescott - I was really pleased with the finish on these two beauties, almost felt a shame to pour sauce on them :).

| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    My mouth is watering
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Steaks look PERFECT!  Amazing, wonderful!  Sauce looks great, too!

Recipe drives me nuts, though:  I really hate it when a recipe calls for "Madeira" without saying what KIND of Madeira.  "... full, rich?"  Are you kidding me?  Some of them are syrupy sweet and some very dry, and they would make wildly different tasting sauces.

What did you use?  A Malmsey (sweet)?
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    That is right in my wheel house! What s dynamite meal.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Stormbringer
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Theophan said:
    Steaks look PERFECT!  Amazing, wonderful!  Sauce looks great, too!

Recipe drives me nuts, though:  I really hate it when a recipe calls for "Madeira" without saying what KIND of Madeira.  "... full, rich?"  Are you kidding me?  Some of them are syrupy sweet and some very dry, and they would make wildly different tasting sauces.

What did you use?  A Malmsey (sweet)?
     @Theophan - I used Henriques & Henriques Full Rich Madeira, it's a Doce which I missed out of the recipe, thanks for pointing that out.

https://www.majestic.co.uk/wines/hh-3-year-old-full-rich-madeira-17009

I'll update the recipe.

• Theophan
    Options
    ... I used Henriques & Henriques Full Rich Madeira, it's a Doce which I missed out of the recipe, thanks for pointing that out.

I'll update the recipe.
    EEK -- I hadn't realized you were the one who posted the recipe.  I apologize for complaining so strongly about what I hadn't realized was your own recipe.  I thought I was sort of commiserating with you about someone else's recipe that was a little vague about what kind of Madeira.  Sorry!

But now I'm fascinated!  I've never heard of that kind of Madeira (not that I'm knowledgeable at all, really, about wine).  The description makes it sound similar to a Malmsey, which I've had, but maybe a little less sweet?  Do you know?  I know for sure I've never seen that wine in the wine store I usually go to.  I'll have to ask.
  • Stormbringer
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Theophan said:
    ... I used Henriques & Henriques Full Rich Madeira, it's a Doce which I missed out of the recipe, thanks for pointing that out.

I'll update the recipe.
    EEK -- I hadn't realized you were the one who posted the recipe.  I apologize for complaining so strongly about what I hadn't realized was your own recipe.  I thought I was sort of commiserating with you about someone else's recipe that was a little vague about what kind of Madeira.  Sorry!

But now I'm fascinated!  I've never heard of that kind of Madeira (not that I'm knowledgeable at all, really, about wine).  The description makes it sound similar to a Malmsey, which I've had, but maybe a little less sweet?  Do you know?  I know for sure I've never seen that wine in the wine store I usually go to.  I'll have to ask.
    @Theophan no problem, bud. :)

"Malmsey" is another name for Malvasia, a grape variety used in the production of Madeira wines. It is a recognised style of Madeira wine, the sweetest and most full-bodied. The others grapes and styles are:
    • Sercial - dry
    • Verdelho - medium dry
    • Bual and Terrantez - medium-sweet
    At a guess, the wine you've used is branded Malmsey because it's made from that grape.

Wines not made from any of these grapes are labelled as generic Madeira, which is the wine I used. It was made from Tinta Negra Mole grape instead, and has a designation of Doce, which is sweet, and what Malmsey wines normally are.

Good article on this topic:

https://www.thespruce.com/madeira-fortified-white-wine-3510912

If you do make the sauce would be good to know how the Malmsey works, I suspect it would be better than the Madeira I used.

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Spectacular brother!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    That looks delicious. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I’d hit it.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    You had me at steak and mushrooms!  Yum!!
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Dude. That looks great 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    @Theophan just a thought, this is using Madeira to cook a sauce with. Is it worth using a decent (and potentially pricey) Malmsey? That's why SWMBO went with a generic Madeira, she'd rather enjoy the good stuff as an aperitif. :)

• Theophan
    Options
    @Theophan just a thought, this is using Madeira to cook a sauce with. Is it worth using a decent (and potentially pricey) Malmsey? That's why SWMBO went with a generic Madeira, she'd rather enjoy the good stuff as an aperitif. :)
    My problem is that I hardly see ANY Madeira in the stores in my area, and I honestly don't think I've seen the kinds of Madeira you all are talking about.  I've had Malmsey, which I love, and Sercial, which I really didn't love, and found very dry and quite acid, as I recall.

My point, though, isn't about whether it's "the good stuff" or cheaper, but whether it's dry or sweet, or something in between.  A sauce will be drastically different if it's made with a sweet dessert wine like cream sherry or Malmsey Madeira, or if it's made with a dry Madeira like a Sercial, or sort of medium-dry like Amontillado.  "Full and Rich," which I think was how the OP's Madeira was described on the bottle doesn't really help me.  I wish stores near me had more Sherries and Madeiras to select from.