Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New BGE web site-- * long *

Options
Trouble
Trouble Posts: 276
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just visited the new site and spent more time with a careful eye than I had in the past. My humble, but shamefully long-winded opinions:[p]1. The options for viewing threads offer nice flexibility. My favorite option is a combination of "Classic" and "Wide View," though I'm not sure why. Wide View reduces the menu options available but presents the same info. I suppose that since I spend most of my time in the forum, it nice to see clean copy.[p]2. The font size is giving me a bit of trouble. I have the browser set to View/Text Size/Medium. The list of threads looks great. The text of the messages is very large. Of course, changing the browser setting within the post (to reduce the font size) is not an option since it renders the thread list too small. Is there a way to control the postings' font size?[p]3. Navigation of the recipe section is a really great start. The breadcrumbs at the top allow simple backtracking to both previous levels of drill-down. Very nice. [p]4. The presentation of the recipes is more readable, IMHO, when I select one of the options like Most Viewed or Top Rated. Those are very cool--and a great way to keep one's eye on new recipes coming in. I can't wait until the reviews/comments start to hit those recipes![p]5. The organization when I select a category like Beef is tougher to follow. So I guess the running list works better for me than the columnar list. Also, on the wish list, could you add the ability to switch to "Top Rated" etc. within a category. If I want to see the top rated beef stuff, I can select Top Rated, but it goes back to the "all categories" population and one must then sort through the other returns in addition to beef.[p]6. The glossary--thanks again, TNW!!! I don't know what we would all do without you, since we were all newbies once. From a UI standpoint, very easily navigable and intuitive.[p]7. The Eggictionary--very entertaining. [p]8. Search--within recipes and within the forum, both seem to provide quick and thorough results. On a future wish-list, you may want to consider making the forum search results filtered for uniqueness. For example, if I search "chicken thighs" I see a wonder list of stuff to check out. Let's take Falafel Chicken Thighs for example. It falls into the list 11 times in a row--once for each post in the the thread. If I click on any one of those, I get to the thread. Because of the wonderful way the whole thread is visible from any point within it, the long search result is unnecessary. I wish I could help by providing code for that, but I'm a humble designer, not a developer :-).[p]9. I love that you have differentiated between "In Topic Title" and "In Topic Content." [p]10. The search result's topic turns green after it's been viewed. Except for the red bold text (search string). That presents an issue when I searched "chicken thighs" and the topic title was "chicken thighs." No green because it's all bold. Not a big problem, though, unless I'm really doing extensive research.[p]I'll stop badgering you now. And please accept my humble apologies if some of these items have been covered. It's really a great site and I look forward to learning there often.[p]Joyce

Comments

• WMK
    WMK Posts: 1,747
    Options
    Trouble,
    Thanks for all the feedback!
    We're working on the font size -- I think it is the most mentioned issue.
    And, once the forum is running smoothly, we'll be looking into the other components more fully, like recipes, and the image gallery (which definietly needs some work.)
    WMK

• Inna Avrelina
    Options
    I went to the new site and tried to join but it said my name was already in use. Oh well.
  • WMK
    WMK Posts: 1,747
    Options
    Alan P,[p]Yes your handle is already in use -- by you! :-)[p]We imported the profiles from here to the new site. They just need to be "activated" before being used for the first time.[p]To do this, visit here and select a password. Also, please verify that the email address is correct.[p]When you submit the form, our server will send a confirmation email to that address. Just click the link in the email to complete activation.[p]WMK