Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butts

Options
Jerome Poole
Jerome Poole Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning to cook 3 butts this week end I noticed a post that said butts need to be cooked on indirect heat. I am new at this and not too familiar with some of the terms .I know that people like me with little experience get old to a lot of you that have been doing this for a long time. hope you can help me make this a success.
Thanks!
Jerome catstorm@aol.com

Comments

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    Jerome,[p]The best way for a new egger is to read ElderWards way at the link below. Just be patient and 18 to 22 hours later, you'll have great Q!
    [ul][li]Elder Ward's Pulled Pork Instructions[/ul]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    for some reason the links to part 3 and 4 didnt work

[ul][li]parts 3 and 4[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Hmmm. Sounds like a job for WMK. Perhaps it would be better just to PDF the whole thing and post a link.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Jerome, to answer your question, indirect cooking is having a barrier between the heat source (fire) and the meat. A simple sheet of foil may provide enough barrier but typically what we are talking about is some form of mass (a pie pan filled with water - or sand, firebricks or an EGGsetter) which will keep the heat from directly hitting the bottom of the meat. A pan filled with water with a V-rack provides a very effective indirect cooking set up. If you don't have a V-rack, just place an extra grill of some sort over a disposable aluminum pan. You can either put some liquid in the pan or leave it empty - the liquid keeps the fat which will run put from burning but does nothing for the moistness of the meat.