Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butts for Ga/FL

Options
First time post - long time lurker. Got my egg started at 4:00AM this morning and just but two Boston Butts on the egg for the GA/FL game. Should be ready to pull right before kickoff. 

I’ve had my egg for about six months now and love it. Although a strange thing happened this morning. My egg was about 250 degrees and I put my daisy wheel on to start calibrating it for the smoke. As soon as I dropped it on, a tower of flames shot out of the top (like a jet engine) and I had flames coming out of the bottom. The only thing I can think of is that the Crisco I used to keep the daisy wheel seasoned caught fire on the inside.  It was strange to say the least. Anyone ever had that happen? 

Comments

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Welcome to the circus!

As to the flames, you need to calibrate your thermometer. A stable 250 indirect fire shouldn't be raging flame like that. I didn't season my wheel so I can't attest to that. But I always start my fire with the wheel on (or Smokeware cap)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• jpeden
    jpeden Posts: 11
    Options
    Welcome to the circus!

As to the flames, you need to calibrate your thermometer. A stable 250 indirect fire shouldn't be raging flame like that. I didn't season my wheel so I can't attest to that. But I always start my fire with the wheel on (or Smokeware cap)

Thats the thing - the thermometer is calibrated and once it happened, no more fire. It was like a flashback or something. I’ve never seen anything like it. Egg is holding a steady 275ish for smoking what I put on earlier. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    You're watching the wrong game. 

Dogs are going down...at some point. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• jpeden
    Options

Well, you’re right. They’ll probably lose to alabama. But I have two degrees from UGA so I’m partial to them. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    edited October 2017
    Options
    jpeden said:

Well, you’re right. They’ll probably lose to alabama. But I have two degrees from UGA so I’m partial to them. 
    If you ride around Athens in a convertible, they just throw a diploma in your car. You must have made two laps around campus. 

Welcome by the way. 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    jpeden said:

If you ride around Athens in a convertible, they just throw a diploma in your car. You must have made two laps around campus. 

Welcome by the way. 

Techies need to come up with some insults relevant to this century. Geesh. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Way easier to get accepted into Georgia Tech than UGA  these days...
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    edited October 2017
    Options
    jpeden said:

Welcome by the way. 

1980. Enough said 
  • dsleight
    dsleight Posts: 101
    Options
    It could have just been off gassing from the charcoal.  I have had it burp flames out of the bottom vent several times.  Usually if it happens, it will do it several times until that bag is gone.  Possibly incomplete carbonization of the charcoal that was put in that particular bag.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited October 2017
    Options
    jpeden said:

Welcome by the way. 

1980. Enough said 

I did some digging and found where you got your jokes.......which interestingly enough was the last year a good looking female attended your trade school. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Never have had that excitement with either BGE so no help there.  
    For preservation of the DFMT (aka daisy wheeI) I store in the BGE upon shutdown and will spray with cooking spray around every 6 months or so.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Florida never showed

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • jpeden
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    Florida never showed
    Very, very true. Made my pork even more enjoyable. Had to shred it to keep up with demand so I didn’t get any pictures to post but I was very happy with the bark and the texture. Pulled one off the egg at 201 and the larger one at 196. The larger one spent more time in the FTC and actually was better to me than the one that got to 200+. Both had FTC but the 2nd one had around 2 hours and the first one was only about 30 minutes. 
  • jpeden
    Options
    dsleight said:
    It could have just been off gassing from the charcoal.  I have had it burp flames out of the bottom vent several times.  Usually if it happens, it will do it several times until that bag is gone.  Possibly incomplete carbonization of the charcoal that was put in that particular bag.
    Good to know. It was the bottom of the bag of my Rockwood so I wonder if when I dropped the daisy wheel on the top it sparked somehow and caught some charcoal dust.