Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MK4 issue?

Options

I have MK4 Thermapen. For the life of me, I can’t get it to read accurately. Boil water test, dead on balls accurate at 211.5 deg. When I go to poke food, temps are all over the place. I know the very tip of the thermo is what registers the temperature, so I make sure I’m not poking through the meat and getting direct  temperature readings. 

Example.... other night I was cooking some NY strips. MK4 showed temp at 119. Pulled out and re poked within 1/8” from first poke and temp was 142.

Not wanting to take a chance and over cook the steak I pulled it and cut it. It was a nice medium doneness, but no where near what a 142 deg steak would look like. 

What am I doing wrong if anything or is this MK4 defective?

XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    The MK4 is very sensitive and can really read a wide variation on temps in a piece of meat.
    I have found that I get fairly wide ranges of temps in the steaks I cook with the MK4, all I can suggest make a number of readings and go with the one that you feel most closely represents the meat temp. 

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Agreed.. its sentitive enough i think its wild on a live fire.

I've seen that. I will pull my cook and test on a rack and find its wayyyyy more consistent..

I will say, you do have to be aware where the probe tip is, especially if a thinner cut, because the temp gradient is so small.

-FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    The Thermapens are quite accurate, and they are accurately reading temp differences in the steak. 

I take my reading from the thickest part of the steak and go from there. 

Don't get too wrapped up in temping the steak in many places........and use your feel for when it should be done. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The temp in a steak is a gradient of temperatures.  There is nothing wrong with the thermapen.
    Options
    The temp in a steak is a gradient of temperatures.  There is nothing wrong with the thermapen.
    I prefer gradient free steak.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    You boil ribs.
  • CanDid
    CanDid Posts: 106
    Options
    This will answer your question.

https://youtu.be/H64St-27Bhw

BGE XL
    NWArkansas
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Legume said:
    You boil ribs.
    I suspect I might not live down my experiment.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin