Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Chicken Cordon Blue Moon

Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
edited October 2017 in EggHead Forum
A step outside of the box take on a French classic, courtesy of a Grillmates/Keith Villa Blue Moon rub that I recently found on clearance.

Nice quality chicken breast, pounded, sprinkled with Blue Moon, stuffed with shredded gruyere, and sushi rolled in plastic wrap.  Bagged and SV at 140 for 1:50:00, allowed ten min after for drying, rubbing, and wrapping in La Quercia Spec prosciutto, that I had the nice lady slice on the Hobart thicker than norm.  

Out of the bath, and rubbed on the outside.

Another out of the box audible, instead of classic double fried french fries,  Kenji's roasted potatoes were cooked simultaneously.
https://youtu.be/argKpeiKFfo
Used thyme instead of rosemary, and added Calabrian chile.

275 indirect egg grid high up.  Used half spent RO lump from both eggs, no wood.  Rolled in 4 pieces of staggered Spec for the texture and better cured hog flavor.

All of the flavors were wonderful, glad the gruyere held up through the entire process.

Much more flavor than French fries, no mayo or ketchup, and no oil to mess with.  The baking soda is legit.

A fun rip tonight.
Thanks for lookin'.
Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I haven't yet begun the SV journey Brandon. This meal looks righteous. I would imagine the breasts had firmness without being dried out. Nice work.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Focker
    edited October 2017
    I haven't yet begun the SV journey Brandon. This meal looks righteous. I would imagine the breasts had firmness without being dried out. Nice work.  
    Thanks.
    The only time I used the knife was to slice. 
    Fork was used to cut the slice after that.
    The texture of SV chicken breast is softer.

Anova may do some sales before the holidays, would make for a great Christmas gift.   ;)

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Nice post man! Great looking food there!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Focker
    edited October 2017
    Hans61 said:
    Nice post man! Great looking food there!
    Thanks much Hans, had a good night going in, and out of, the kitchen, beautiful weather right now.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    I’ve eaten dinner but after reading your post I’m hungry again!
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Very yummy

is there a process to making that opener?
  • Focker
    edited October 2017
    Woodchunk said:
    Very yummy

Thanks.
    The opener was ordered from Bottle Breacher.  They have many styles to choose from, and engraving options.  Had several of these made for some Honor Flight vets as a gift...vintage 50 cal, engraved.  

The Freedom Frags look cool, they must be new(er).  
    http://bottlebreacher.com/bottle-breachers/?sort=featured&page=1

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Well that does not look like it sucked!

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Focker
    Well that does not look like it sucked!
    LOL, thanks.
    No, it didn't.  :)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Focker said:
    Woodchunk said:
    Very yummy

Thanks.
    The opener was ordered from Bottle Breacher.  They have many styles to choose from, and engraving options.  Had several of these made for some Honor Flight vets as a gift...vintage 50 cal, engraved.  

The Freedom Frags look cool, they must be new(er).  
    http://bottlebreacher.com/bottle-breachers/?sort=featured&page=1

Interesting and thank you
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Them taters look AWESOME! Sometimes I think Kenji has far too much time on his hands. Besides, I try to avoid baking soda(ium). But they do look good. =) 

I just do mine by cubing the potatoes and drizzling them with evoo, adding chopped rosemary, s&p and a few smashed cloves of garlic (not even peeled). Toss to coat, then roast at 425° for 30 minutes. Toss halfway thru. Courtesy of Mario Batali. Sorta like Ree Drummond's crash hots except cubed.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    edited October 2017
    Them taters look AWESOME! Sometimes I think Kenji has far too much time on his hands. Besides, I try to avoid baking soda(ium). But they do look good. =) 

I just do mine by cubing the potatoes and drizzling them with evoo, adding chopped rosemary, s&p and a few smashed cloves of garlic (not even peeled). Toss to coat, then roast at 425° for 30 minutes. Toss halfway thru. Courtesy of Mario Batali. Sorta like Ree Drummond's crash hots except cubed.
    Thanks bud, they were so much better than fries, and easier.

It's only 1/2t of BS if that helps in any way.  When you toss the taters with the infused oil, they get a mashed potato-like coating that, crisps up in the oven nicely.

I take it you boil them first for MB's version?
    Love crash hots too.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Wow that looks great.  Definitely bookmarked.  

Phoenix 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Focker said:

Thanks bud, they were so much better than fries, and easier.

It's only 1/2t of BS if that helps in any way.  When you toss the taters with the infused oil, they get a mashed potato-like coating that, crisps up in the oven nicely.

I take it you boil them first for MB's version?
    Love crash hots too.
    Yeah, the BS is probably no big deal, It's just one of those things that I haven't used... in 4 years!

No need to boil Batali's potatoes. Never had crash hots.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    blasting said:

Wow that looks great.  Definitely bookmarked.  

Thanks @blasting.  The gruyere, although pricier, was a big flavor upgrade from Swiss.  Didn't go through a lot of it though.  Same for the prosciutto vs ham.  Will have to try it on the inside next time, and maybe pan fry SV finish with panko.  Lots of options.
    The sushi roll SV approach did work out.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,358
    Boy I like this, I am trying it when I get home from holidays. I usually don’t flatten the chicken but the sushi roll sounds great
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Wow! 

That chicken looks amazing! 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Oh damn. I do believe that qualifies as a home run. Nice cook. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Looks great as usual Brando!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Great looking plate right there!
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Did you do the potatoes in the oven or the Egg?

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• Focker
    Thanks again guys for the feedback, it was a fun riff.

Webass said:
    Did you do the potatoes in the oven or the Egg?
    I decided to go oven.  I have struggled with browning baked dishes in the egg.  Not that you can't egg the potatoes, just thought I would have a better chance, and it was easier.  If I did, it would be on a CI griddle or skillet. Have had good results doing Ree Drummond's cowboy potatoes this way, where they get a coating of flour to help.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Ugh @Focker. Your dang cordon bleu was in my head all day and I had to poke the bear. Tasty stuff. But I had to pan fry the outside per preggers instruction. Now I have a food baby. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,358
    A question on the sushi rolled chicken. Do you flatten it, cover with cheese an use a sushi mat to roll it?  I assume you tighten the plastic wrap and leave it in the wrap till it’s finished the hot tub?
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Winner winner...........
  • Focker
    Ugh @Focker. Your dang cordon bleu was in my head all day and I had to poke the bear. Tasty stuff. But I had to pan fry the outside per preggers instruction. Now I have a food baby. 
    Good stuff.  If mama aint happy...
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited October 2017
    GlennM said:
    A question on the sushi rolled chicken. Do you flatten it, cover with cheese an use a sushi mat to roll it?  I assume you tighten the plastic wrap and leave it in the wrap till it’s finished the hot tub?
    I used the piece of Saran wrap like a sushi roll to roll, then twisting the ends to tighten.  This video from Tyler was the inspiration.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/tylers-chicken-cordon-bleu-0238794?ic1=amp_playvideo

I took the Saran wrapped logs and put them each in a Ziplok, then using water displacement, got most of the air out.  There will be a small amount of air in them, I used a small Pyrex bowl to hold the ends down in the bath, as they wanted to float.  A vac seal or kind of a half vac seal may be better?  I worked around it though. Hth
    Brandon
    Quad Cities