Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ot - DSLR Camera Help - Suggestions

WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,008
I'm going to keep this short. My wife wants a DSLR camera. I know nothing about them. I mean nothing. Trying to keep it under $500-$600 dollars. I'm hoping for 24mp, wifi, and some type of zoom lens. (Yes I'm calling it a zoom lens as I don't even know what the correct term might be) I need help! Thanks peeps!
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,173
    @Botch - paging here as he knows cameras.  I'm sure there are others (no offense) but my recall is a bit clouded. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Leopoldstoch
    Leopoldstoch Posts: 1,182
    If she isn’t crazy into photography and it’s more of a hobby I might suggest the Sony a6000. Lots of interchangeable lenses, great entry level approachability, etc. 

Brandon - Ohio

• Leopoldstoch
    Leopoldstoch Posts: 1,182
    The a6000 can keep it within your price range as well.

Brandon - Ohio

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,127
    I recommend buying used. I have bought lens used from KEH that look and function as if they were new. 
  • WeberWho
    edited October 2017
    I recommend buying used. I have bought lens used from KEH that look and function as if they were new. 
    I was thinking the same thing for the lens. My dad is using his lens that's from the 1970's on his few year old Nikon’s DSLR. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    I can't give a worthwhile recommendation for camera/lens in that price range.  I fully agree with @DoubleEgger and @WeberWho , used will give you twice the camera/lens for the price, and KEH is an excellent source (I've never called them, but I've read they're very good at giving advice for anyone's price range).  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    While not a DSLR, take a look at the Nikon Cooix P900. Lens goes from wide to a stunning 83X optical. Price is in your ballpark. I love mine.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Does she truly need the functionality of a DSLR?  I've gone mirrorless and don't touch my DSLR anymore.  But photography is a hobby, not a money maker for me.  
  • WeberWho
    edited October 2017
    odie91 said:
    Does she truly need the functionality of a DSLR?  I've gone mirrorless and don't touch my DSLR anymore.  But photography is a hobby, not a money maker for me.  
    I'm perfectly happy with my camera phone. My wife borrowed her sisters DSLR for some family pictures. She now thinks we need a new camera. Which maybe isn't a bad idea. I buy stupid crap all the time. This purchase might not be such a bad idea in the long run. I'm thinking DSLR over mirrorless just for the simple fact of it being similar to my Dad's camera. I'm sure I'll be asking him millions of questions. My friend also does it professionally. So I might have a better chance of getting help with DSLR. I did just getting done reading about the Sony a6000 though

Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    At that price range i would go mirrorless despite your dad's legacy.  Higher price points DSLR.
    At that price range i would go mirrorless despite your dad's legacy.  Higher price points DSLR.
    I'm thinking I'll buy a 2ND hand DSLR or an older model. The Nikon 5500 has me intrigued 

Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    They are good.  
    Go to dpreview.com You can compare tons of models side by side. I've always been a Canon fan myself. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    I bought a Nikon D60 Kit at Costco years ago.  OK camera at the time but it was huge upgrade for us for taking Soccer and such pics.

I picked a used 5### series body and 55mm lens.  Camera is much better obviously and it was only $200.  I still have my original 55mm lens and 70-200mm zoom which work for what I need.

Somebody here in my neighborhood was dumping a 3### series for like $200 today but it's sold already
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,010
    As suggested above, dpreview.com is a great place to look. Some specifics:

New vs used - every DSLR camera has a life expectancy measured in shutter closures. It's high. Tens of thousands. Sounds like it would last a lifetime? SWMBO takes around 6000 photos on our 3 week USA holidays. Cameras won't suddenly stop working when they hit the limit, however one of our camera shells, an old Canon, was discarded because the shutter stopped working after a few years of service. If you do buy used, look for scuff marks on the base, dropping a camera can be fatal.

Brand - once you buy into a brand, you're stuck with it. Lens are not interchangable. Even the grey market differentiates between brands, e.g. Sigma make a 150-600mm lens for Canon and another for Nikon. Same body to look at, but different adaptor ring. SWMBO bought into Canon a long time ago and we're happy with it. You can google "canon vs nikon" and see arguments for both.

Video - at some point you're going to want this feature. Trust me on this.

Looking at your specific requirements, and with our personal preference of Canon, the EOS 750D and 760D (bit more expensive) ticks the boxes for what you want. It's a good entry level body, can take different lens so allows you to scale up and has wifi.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Spend some time on Ken Rockwell's website.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    i agree with photo egg. went from point and shoot years ago to a dslr. that camera now sits in the floor of my truck, never use it, just too big to carry it around. useless to me for overcast days unless i upgrade the lenses. the point and shoot had just better pics from sunny to overcast days and the zooming is incredible for such small cameras.   i need to buy another small camera, i dont take many pics anymore, it used to be so much more convenient
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Remember that if you get a camera with interchangeable lenses, you will spend more money on lenses than on the camera.  Also when you have a few lenses, you will find that you always have the wrong lens on the camera and have to take the time to switch. You also have to carry around all your lenses with you when you are out for a walk, etc.

Back in the film days I had an SLR with 3 lenses and eventually hated it for all the reasons I mentioned above.

I switched to a single long zoom camera and had a great time.

When Sony announced the mirrorless A6000, I decided I'd give it a try and bought 2 lenses for it.  After a year, I loved the camera's capabilities but hated it for all the reasons I mentioned above.

I traded it in for a Sony RX10M3 long zoom which just has the 1 lens and a 24mm to 600 mm capability.  It is a very capable camera.  It is a little heavier than other long zooms, but that is due to the better lens.  There are other long zoom cameras that are lighter.

As others have suggested, check out dpreview.com.  They have a buyers guide and numerous reviews.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    I believe the D5000 series from Nikon would suffice for your wife.  I don't believe good good glass starts at $1000.  Nikon has plenty of lens selections well under that.  Especially in the prime market.  The 50mm 1.8G is $200!  Many of my photos were taken with that lens.  There's a 35 1.8G that the same price, and the 85 1.8G is around $400.   Lenses can be bought used too, just FYI.  

Nikon has some great glass well under that.  

Check out KEH as others said.  Also Adorama has a nice used selection and I believe B&H too.  

The P&S have their place, but if the wife wants a DSLR, then go with what she wants is what advise I'd give.  

One thing to always consider is check out the sensor size (not MP, but dimensions).  The bigger the sensor the better.  Three cameras can have the same MP, but have various sensor sizes, the larger sensor will have a "cleaner file".  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,127
    If you decide to go Nikon, I have a couple of lens that might work for you. PM if you're interested. 
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    edited October 2017
    If she wants a DSLR, get her a DSLR. It does not really matter what anyone else thinks. If you can wait until Black Friday, Sam's, Costco and Best Buy will have a DSLR kit with camera body, bag and a couple of VR lenses on sale in the $499-$599 range, which is a good price for all you get with it. I have a Nikon with several lenses and multiple accessories and tripods but usually just carry a Canon point and shoot most of the time. Here is a photo  with the point and shoot.

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    I would recommend taking a look here:
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/

The guy has a mixed reputation in the photography world, but I have found his site useful at times.

He tends to recommend the Nikon D3400 for most casual photographers.

• bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    I have had good luck with canon’s online refebished store.  Maybe it has been said already, but buy a cheaper body and invest in the lenses. 
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    edited October 2017
    Someone made a good point about lenses. With your budget, or her budget, the lenses won't be that great.  That Canon G7x will probably take better photos, with the exception of zoom. If she needs zoom and uses the DSLR kit lens, it will be mediocre.  Check how much a fast zoom lens costs and you'll cringe.   I have the Sony rx100 point and shoot (which canon tried to copy with the g7 hahaha).  I use the Sony most, then the mirrorless (with an old manual focus 1.8 prime lens on an adaptor, fwiw), then once a year might use my DSLR for a very specific purpose such as using it's macro lens for a project or something.  
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    The lens issue is very important both from a cost and a portability view.  You need to consider what types of photography you wish to do. I enjoy wildlife photography and also close-up macro work with insects, etc.  This is why I like a long zoom camera (like my Sony RX10M3) since it has just one lens that goes from macro to long zoom with pretty good quality.

If you look at dpreview.com you will also see sample pictures taken with various cameras.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA