Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Salsa

Options
Our garden didn't product a lot of tomatoes this year, but we did have enough Romas to make a small batch of salsa.  The recipe, which my wife got from her canning cook book, called to roast the veggies for about 40 minutes in the oven.  I thought no no no....we are using the BGE for the roasting.  If anyone cares enough, I will post the exact recipe, but here is what I roasted on the BGE:  3 pounds of cored tomatoes, one medium onion sliced in thirds, 4 cloves of garlic and 4 jalapeños that were seeded and the membranes were removed.  I got the BGE to about 350 and put all the veggies on.  The garlic came out after 20 minutes.  The rest roasted for....maybe about 30 minutes after that.  I was watching the Steelers beat the Chiefs at the time so I don't really remember.  Basically after that, it was the basic process of chopping up and reducing down and then canning.  Long story short, roasting the veggies in the BGE made some amazing salsa.  I used beech and a little bit of leftover cherry for the smoke.  The salsa was amazing.  I highly recommend trying to roast the veggies for your salsa recipe if you haven't already.  Anyways, thanks for looking.  
Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE

Comments