Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grate stacker question

Options
Just purchased a Smokeware Grate Stacker.  I wanted to be able to grill two levels of wings at the same time to up my volume.  The unit seems to be designed to work without the platesetter which is confusing.  How could direct really work with two levels?  The instructions direct you to put the hinge at the left or right side.  However with the platesetter in place it had to be in the back in order to not obstruct the top.  I tested it this weekend because I have a big cook coming up next weekend.  Wings came out great but it was not as functional as I would have hoped.  With the hinge (post) in the back the top level did not have room to swing out. 

Does this seem right?  

Long Island, NY

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Pick up a Spider and pizza stone and skip the platesetter.

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/bge-large/products/large-spider-3-leg-bge

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Some have found the height to tall on the Smokeware and cut the bar down a little. This will help you close the dome easier if you stick with platesetter.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Do you have it centered??  It's perfectly round......shouldn't matter where the hinge is.
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    Do you have it centered??  It's perfectly round......shouldn't matter where the hinge is.
    The design has the top level offset so that it can be turned and expose the bottom grid for access. 
    Long Island, NY
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    radamo said:
    The design has the top level offset so that it can be turned and expose the bottom grid for access. 

I have one sitting here in my showroom......it's maybe a 1/3" off center?  The hinge is offset, but I don't think the upper grill is supposed to be offset. 

Looks like you have a older lower grate, so maybe that's the difference.  Try moving the hinge inward by one row and see if it centers up.

• radamo
    Options
    radamo said:

I have one sitting here in my showroom......it's maybe a 1/3" off center?  The hinge is offset, but I don't think the upper grill is supposed to be offset. 

Looks like you have a older lower grate, so maybe that's the difference.  Try moving the hinge inward by one row and see if it centers up.

But your unit does not have the platesetter in place. That is my issue. Without the platesetter it fits perfectly.  
    Long Island, NY
  • stlcharcoal
    edited October 2017
    Options
    radamo said:
    radamo said:

But your unit does not have the platesetter in place. That is my issue. Without the platesetter it fits perfectly.  

It's sitting on a smokeware grate raiser/riser (same height as the platesetter).

Does your fire ring have three notches or five divots?  That could be another issue.  It fits fine if you're down in the notches, but if you sit it on top, there's just a hair of clearance when you close the lid (thus if it's off center, it's not going to fit.)
  • radamo
    Options
    radamo said:
    radamo said:

It's sitting on a smokeware grate raiser/riser (same height as the platesetter).

Does your fire ring have three notches or five divots?  That could be another issue.  It fits fine if your down in the notches, but if you sit it on top, there's just a hair of clearance when you close the lid (thus if it's off center, it's not going to fit.
    Mine has the three notches.  I will mess around with moving the connection when I get home early one night this week.  If that does not work I may look to shorten the shaft a bit.  Thanks for all your help. 
    Long Island, NY
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    radamo said:
    radamo said:
    radamo said:

Does your fire ring have three notches or five divots?  That could be another issue.  It fits fine if your down in the notches, but if you sit it on top, there's just a hair of clearance when you close the lid (thus if it's off center, it's not going to fit.
    Mine has the three notches.  I will mess around with moving the connection when I get home early one night this week.  If that does not work I may look to shorten the shaft a bit.  Thanks for all your help. 

On mine, from the outer edge of the lower grate to the middle of the shaft is 2.5".  The newer grates do not have the stringers all the way out to the edge (perhaps for a lifter or adding wood??)  Not sure on the spacing on the old grates, but bringing it over one on mine, is 9/16".

On the upper grate it's 1.75"......looks like that one is in the same spot as mine.
  • radamo
    Options
    Moving the bottom bracket over one more rung worked perfectly.  Thanks so much for the suggestion!
    Long Island, NY