Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Off topic: I don't like my washing machine

Options
Foghorn
Foghorn Posts: 9,834
A few years ago our old toploading washing machine died and we got a new Whirlpool HE frontloader.  It never has cleaned our clothes as well as the older toploading machine.  Shortly after we bought it, we noticed this and called for it to be replaced or serviced.  The repair guy came out and watched it do everything it is supposed to do and said "Everything works exactly as it is supposed to.  These new machines are amazing.  They use so little water and they get your clothes even cleaner than the old machines."

When I asked why OUR machine did not get clothes very clean he replied ""Everything works exactly as it is supposed to.  These new machines are amazing.  They use so little water and they get your clothes even cleaner than the old machines."

I gave up and accepted that for every load over the life of the machine we have had to set it for a heavy duty wash with an extra rinse just to approximate the cleaning power of what was previously a standard wash setting.  

Now, it has gotten worse and some of the clothes don't ever get touched by water so we are in the market for a new machine.  

What do people recommend?

Can you get a toploader and get clothes actually clean?  Did I just get a lemon and an ignorant repair guy? Do frontloading HE machines actually get clothes clean (in most cases)?

I look forward to the responses.  Thanks in advance.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Front loaders are $hit.  We're getting rid of ours and going back to the top loader.  Companies developed them w/ government subsidies pushed by VP Al Gore back in the 90s for the exact reason you mentioned.  Give the libturds any power, and they will try and rule your life, but end up ruining it in the process.  Put this in the category or toilets that don't flush enough water and take two to three flushes to get the Class I download taken care or.  or, the crappy lightbulbs that hurt your eyes and lake everything look in a strange hue!  Or Michelle O's crappy school lunch program giving kids food they don't want to eat or in such small portions that they don't have enough to eat. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    FWIW it's "I hate my washing machine"  that's all I got. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    My front loader LG works just fine.
  • thetrim
    Options

Give it time...
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I recommend Speed Queen.
    I have a pair that I purchased at the first of the year. The Speed Queen set replaced a 30 year old Maytag set. I really believe the Speed Queen set is built as good as the old Maytag set.
    The set that I purchased is top loading and is the best they offer in the top load line. It has the electronic controls on both the washer and dryer.

The capacity is much greater than Maytag and it does a really good job cleaning. It's also very quiet.

The set wasn't inexpensive, if I remember the set was around $2000.

I have been told the average life for most laundry sets is around 7 years.
    Speed Queen says theirs will last over 20 years in a household environment, I believe they will, they are built like a tank. 
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    We had a front loader and got rid of it for the reason you are describing. Clothes just wouldn’t get clean. Got a Samsung top loader and love it. And before anyone chimes in about the recall, no, the lid hasn’t come flying off during the spin cycle. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    This has been discussed before. A solid choice is the Speed Queen according to the forum. That's what I'll be buying next time. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Have a front loader Samsung in town and I'd not buy it again.  Front loader LG at the lake has been good.  I always consult CR (@DoubleEgger likes their beer recommendations) but I think its a crap shoot.  Have fun, good luck son.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • thetrim
    Options
    Front loaders make your clothes smell like the inside of a green egg after not using it and keeping the lid closed during the entire monsoon season in Indonesia.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Chief9
    Chief9 Posts: 141
    Options
    We love our speed queen!
    Carrollton, Va
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Another vote for the Speed Queen. Plain old white and basic, but well built with quality stuff. Loud though, definitely a doors closed machine. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    What are you doing to have clothes that dirty? We've had a samsung front load for about 5 years. Still doing good. When I wash work clothes that have buffing compound and sanding dust all over them I put them on heavy duty cycle.130 minutes. But I hardly get that dirty anymore if I can help it. If I buy again I will probably get one of the huge top loaders. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    texaswig said:
    What are you doing to have clothes that dirty? We've had a samsung front load for about 5 years. Still doing good. When I wash work clothes that have buffing compound and sanding dust all over them I put them on heavy duty cycle.130 minutes. But I hardly get that dirty anymore if I can help it. If I buy again I will probably get one of the huge top loaders. 
    Maybe all your friends are polite. :i_dunno:

=) 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    thetrim said:

Give it time...
    It’s been two years. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    There is an Arm &Hammer detergent with baking soda . It helps with funky clothes. What’s important with front loader washers is to leave the door open after using it so that the tub and gasket dry out.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    With the home remodel we went with 2 speed queens.  They work great.  We purchased the model with no electronic control panel. 

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I've had a Duet going on 5+ years. Never an issue and my clothes don't break down from the agitator. I only use delicate cycle, normal/casual, or bulky for sheets/towels. As drunk as trim seems, his "anecdotes" don't match my own or the vast majority of reviews. How much detergent do you use? It could certainly be a lemon(especially if clothes aren't getting wet) but too much detergent can make your clothes still seem dirty.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Call me old-fashioned, but i'm a fan of electro-mechanical home appliances vs. more  digital/electronic ones. At least I can try to fix the electro-mechanical stuff, and more often than not, I've succeeded. Fixed the water line valve on the fridge recently for $25 or so and saved about $200.

Our Maytag dryer crapped out last year, after 13yrs of service.  Shopped around for a new one and almost had a stroke when I saw how much those things cost. Decided to fix the old one. Like a champ, SWMBO pulled out a drying rack and started drying clothes in the living room. Just took a deep breath and didn't even roll her eyes at me!

A $7 fuse and $8 switch of some kind later (both from Amazon), no go. Called the Sears repair guy out, and he knew less about the problem than I did. His brilliant plan was something like "I'll order this part for $140 and put it in for $150 labor, but I don't know if that will fix it. Then I'll come out again, and you'll pay $85 for the service call and we'll start all over." Told him to take a hike. Trolled craigslist for a few days and picked up a 3yo Amana dryer for $100. Installed it, and it works better than even the old one did. But it sounds like a freight train in there, which somehow we have learned to live with. 

There were tons of relatively new washer/dryer sets available on CL when I looked. People moving, upgrading for something fancier, etc. Moral of the story - check CL and you'll probably find something that works for you at a reasonable price. 

Yes, I'm a cheapskate. And somehow I ended up with a VERY tolerant wife. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    We've had the kenmore version of the duet for 15 years, couple of minor issues, but they work well.  The washer started smelling a few years back, so we're good about leaving the door open and I run a bag of chemicals through there periodically.  Something you get at the store to clean the frontloaders.  I'm sure I could make it up myself for 20% of the cost but it's nitnkuch and seems to work well.

second what @Eggcelsior says about amount of detergent.

also what @caliking says about CL deals.  We got our daughter a set for $550 that was highly rated, huge top loader w/out agitator and only 1 year old.  Not even a scratch.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    But my next set will probably be speed queen mechanical.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Speed Queen seems to be the family favorite.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I've gone back to a top loader.  

How did they convince us it was the new greatest thing in the world to have a front loader and bend every time?  Not to mention they cost a bunch more and don't get the cloths as clean.  We consumers can be scary gullible.

Phoenix 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    Instead of 114 knobs and buttons it just gets stuff clean again. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Thanks to all who have contributed.   It looks like we may be going shopping for a Speed Queen...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I'll echo @Eggcelsior

whirlpool duet frontloader, 5 years old. It's got an automatic soap dispenser that we fill with Kirkland liquid soap. Works like a champ. 

Now that ive said that it will leak tomorrow
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Mickey
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Not sure if they are all "Commerical Heavy Duty " or not and we wanted knobs and not electronics. You can still buy old school. 

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Mickey said:
    That's our washer!  

Speed Queen:  Making Clothes Washing Great Again!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Speed Queen are the hot setup currently.