Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

And meanwhile, back at the Brisket Skunkworks...

Options

A few new ideas being tested on a choice Creekstone brisket wet aged 41 days.

Trying out the sugar cookie style this time around. Took others advice and went into the 180's before this modified wrap.
Gittin' there...

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Looks juicy enough. Looking forward to the finished product. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Love me some new tricks. I've heard the creekstone stuff is good. Can't wait to see how this turns out. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited September 2017
    Options

At the top of my list was to get the bark I've been wanting. I am very pleased with how this looks. Except for where the oil pooled up on the flat while I was sleeping, it's just what I was shooting for.
    Gittin' there...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    That is some serious bark. Meteorite city right there. 
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options

Busy, busy, busy!
    Gittin' there...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Love the setup! was worried about your bottom bark but the rack was a solid move. That is some old school black gold you have there. I don't let mine get that dark anymore but that was what mine looked like for years. I kind of miss it. Might have to try it again. 
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Its weird, I was disappointed when I first pulled it, far too mohagany for my goal. But I left it on the counter wrapped to carryover, and slowly cool down while I took care of some other stuff and...Viola! It had darkened up during the cool down.

Gittin' there...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Its weird, I was disappointed when I first pulled it, far too mohagany for my goal. But I left it on the counter wrapped to carryover, and slowly cool down while I took care of some other stuff and...Viola! It had darkened up during the cool down.

I would not have expected that but that same thing happened to my pastrami last time. It got even darker when I steamed it which really surprised me. 

Also, if you ever notice the fat pooling up on your flat, tip it over and drain it of. You can even flip the whole thing over if you want. Won't hurt it and your bark will form there as well. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    So by going with the sugar cookie bark I assume you used a rub with some sugar. Was it homemade or commercial? 
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    I recently decided to break out of my 225 mindset and quit "warming em to death" and bumped my cooking temp to 275. So I was able to knock this one out in 8hrs, and have been getting a far better result.

Point being, I can start ditching the overnights. That should allow me to stay on top of things like oil pooling and mopping and such like you said.

The little rack thing worked better than expected. I set it directly on the grate with the brisket on top for the smoking portion. Then, picked the whole works up, temp probes and all, and placed it in the aluminum pan for the modified wrap. Much, much less handling to disturb the bark. Easy to route the guru cables off to the side. I also gained the ability to probe check periodically.

Rack is in the dishwasher now. I like that part too. I think I might buy another. I should be able to smoke 2 side by side. Will probably have to do the wrap portion in the oven though when that happens.
    Gittin' there...
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Actually, I seasoned as normal the night before, then an hour before placing it in the smoker, I sprinkled about a cup and a half of brown sugar over the meat side only. It was actually pretty minimal to my eye. Not sure how much of an affect it had on the color since I changed my wrapping temp as well. I food-savered it pan and all. I won't learn the outcome of how it tastes until I reheat it tomorrow... :|

Gittin' there...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Holy crap- that is a ton of sugar! That pic is awesome though. 

The chef steps smokerless brisket rub is fantastic and has a lot of sugar in it. If you find you like the sugar cookie, I highlly recommend this rub. It's awesome on burgers too. They use a lot of smoked salts and spices in it but I have had very good results using it. I served it to some very discerning d-bags on this very forum and they loved it. I use it on almost everything these days. Love it. 

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/smokerless-smoked-brisket

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    What you're seeing in the last pic is the brisket in a vacuum seal. Not a sugar glaze if that's what you're thinking.

We'll see how it tastes. First ones i tried to smoke i used Texas BBQ Rub. That rub clearly has a high sugar content. But those early ones came out like crap (my fault) so I tried a bunch of other stuff hoping to fix things.

I'll give that chef steps a look if this one tastes good. I'll find out tomorrow. 
    Gittin' there...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited September 2017
    Options
    What you're seeing in the last pic is the brisket in a vacuum seal. Not a sugar glaze if that's what you're thinking.

We'll see how it tastes. First ones i tried to smoke i used Texas BBQ Rub. That rub clearly has a high sugar content. But those early ones came out like crap (my fault) so I tried a bunch of other stuff hoping to fix things.

I'll give that chef steps a look if this one tastes good. I'll find out tomorrow. 
    Ah! didn't like the TX bbq rub. I have a post somewhere on here about it. The chef steps is different (I hate to say better because that's subjective but it's a completely different animal)
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    That's pretty interesting. Something different. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx