Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Denver BBQ - Any good spots?

In town for training and curious if there are any "must see" joints.
Large BGE - McDonald, PA

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Not BBQ but the mustard crusted lamb at Elways is one of the best things I have eaten. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Not "Must see", but Red Rocks grill is both beautiful and delicious.  Special place.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Can't say on BBQ, but went to an awesome place for brunch called Lucile's Creole Cafe.  Amazing menu, homemade marmalades, fresh squeezed oj.  Seriously, the best breakfast / brunch I've ever had.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited September 2017
    @redskip - I don't eat a lot of 'q' out since I am usually disappointed versus what I can make myself... =)

That said and depending on what part of town you are in for your training...

Moe's original is pretty darn good and there are a few locations in the metro area.  It holds a spot near to my heart inasmuch as it was started in a small mountain town near Vail by 3 Alabama boys who wanted to be ski bums and also had a love for BBQ.   They did well enough to open a few stores, and then their business model has been to have their employees venture forth and start new stores across the country as a way to give back to the folks who do the work.  

Roaming Buffalo is good TX bbq and they will occasionally have some interesting items like elk green chile sausage or bison.  They are in South Denver.

Burnt Ends is a fast casual type place that does BBQ - it was started by a guy who owns a nice high end restaurant in the Denver Tech Center, but he always had a passion for BBQ and did some competition type stuff - it is good grub, thought the restaurant is a little too sterile for me as I like a little more 'character'  - kind of like a chipotle for BBQ.

Enjoy your time in town.

• Short answer. No. 

What area of town will will you be?

I don't go to the beach and order brisket. Enjoy what they are great at. Micro breweries with Buffalo hamburgers. Southwest breakfast. 

Personally I avoided Denver like the plague when I lived in Co Springs but I ate at a couple awesome restaurants just outside of town in almost every direction. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• We went to some biscuit place NE of downtown Denver for breakfast the first day.  Pretty awesome.  It was a bar that was coupled with a pizza place as well.  Atomic Cowboy of something like that.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited September 2017
    @Killit_and_Grillit @Spaightlabs @stlcharcoal
     I'm staying off Speer Blvd near Mile High.  The restaurant situation seems to be limited and more small shops with limited parking (street parking). 

Good brews everywhere, especially impressed with Left Hand's Milk Stout.

Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Left Hand Milk Stout on the nitro line is hands down my favorite beer in Colorado. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• RedSkip
    It's soooo smooth and has a sweet note to it, I'm definitely impressed.  Hopefully I can get a case shipped to PA.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Swing in to Biker Jim's dogs if you get a chance to head to the LoDo area - awesome dogs and he's quite a character.  http://www.bikerjimsdogs.com 

There is a place not too far from you called Avanti http://avantifandb.com 
    Good choice of grub and pretty cool downtown views from the decks.
  • RedSkip
    @Wolfpack. The valet at Elways is a new style, did you experience the parking situation there?  Or did you Uber it downtown?
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    edited September 2017
    Can't say on BBQ, but went to an awesome place for brunch called Lucile's Creole Cafe.  Amazing menu, homemade marmalades, fresh squeezed oj.  Seriously, the best breakfast / brunch I've ever had.
    Second this, totally agree.
    There is another off Pearl Street, 14th Street, if memory serves me correctly, in Boulder, in an old converted house. Very cool, servings way more than you can possibly eat. Absolutely the best.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    RedSkip said:
    It's soooo smooth and has a sweet note to it, I'm definitely impressed.  Hopefully I can get a case shipped to PA.
    I'm surprised you can't find it in PA, they definitely distribute on the East Coast, I can get it at any of the 4 or so beer/wine/liquor stores I go into around Baltimore. 

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    Head over to the Atomic Cowboy on Colfax. Two eateries operate out of one venue. In the morning enjoy a man sized breakfast from Denver Biscuit and in the evening enjoy a Fat Sully's Pizza. Not BBQ, but it's so good you won't care.

http://www.atomiccowboy.net/
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • RedSkip
    We went to some biscuit place NE of downtown Denver for breakfast the first day.  Pretty awesome.  It was a bar that was coupled with a pizza place as well.  Atomic Cowboy of something like that.
    I stopped by but they close around 3, not sure I'd make it for breakfast.  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • RedSkip

Acn said:
    RedSkip said:
    I'm surprised you can't find it in PA, they definitely distribute on the East Coast, I can get it at any of the 4 or so beer/wine/liquor stores I go into around Baltimore. 
    I may be able to find it, never looked, this week was the first I've been introduced to it.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • RedSkip

Teefus said:
    Head over to the Atomic Cowboy on Colfax. Two eateries operate out of one venue. In the morning enjoy a man sized breakfast from Denver Biscuit and in the evening enjoy a Fat Sully's Pizza. Not BBQ, but it's so good you won't care.

http://www.atomiccowboy.net/
    I'll definitely give this a look, thanks for sharing.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    RedSkip said:
    @Wolfpack. The valet at Elways is a new style, did you experience the parking situation there?  Or did you Uber it downtown?
    I was at the Marriott- short walk over. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    Here's another good place for Breakfast: http://snoozeeatery.com/

Michiana, South of the border.
  • +1 on Snooze. That was one of my wife's favorites. 

If you can't find any LH Milk Stout up that way let me know. They started selling it in TN.

South of Nashville, TN

• I've got a buddy that swears by G-Cue. 
  • If you're still in town, lots of good restaurants and breweries in the highlands close to you. Hogshead, Call to Arms are two of my favorite, along Tennyson. Denver Beer company is across I25. Denver biscuit company / Atomic cowboy is also along south Broadway which has lots of other great options. If you are going to attempt snooze, get there early. waits are typically 2+ hours. Morning Collective, Breakfast on Broadway, The Lobby are good brunch places
    Fighting Sioux Hockey