Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer Can Chicken - BGE Recipie Tested & Altered

Options
Third time cooking the dirty bird with a Heineken can up its butt. 
First time I followed this recipe on the BGE site:
http://biggreenegg.com/recipes/beer-butt-chicken/#comment-164268

I'm surprised as to why it's on the Egg site, because it's not suited to Egg cooking at all. It calls for frequent opening of the lid to spray the bird with a marinade. This left the skin way too moist and not crispy at all. Furthermore, they want the bird in a pan for most of the cook. 

Third time turned out perfectly: no pan, just a beer can stand directly on the grill, set for indirect. 375F and no opening or spraying the bird during the cook. Simple and very tasty!
Large Egg

Comments

• Meeeshigan22
    Options
    Loved BCC on the old gas grill, once I discovered the egg and spatchcock never gave the beer can thing another thought.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Beer can chicken was a fad that should have gone away by now.  Not the best way to cook a bird with any cooker.

Correct.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Beer can chicken was a fad that should have gone away by now.  Not the best way to cook a bird with any cooker.

Not the best? It's a horrible way to cook a chicken. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Surge
    Surge Posts: 56
    Options
    Why?

Came out tender inside and crispy outside. Easy!

Large Egg
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Not a good method because it promotes overdone meat near the skin and undercooked meat next to the can.  Almost any other method is better for even cooking.

Its also a waste of beer.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I quit BCC long ago and went to spatchcocked.  Now I do it like spatchcock but cut the white and dark meat apart and cook as I would spatchcock but can movepieces around to get dark and white done at same time.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Beer can chicken results in either dry overcooked outside or undercooked inside. The beer does nothing for the chicken cook except plugging up the cavity.
    Read all of this:
    http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/debunking_beer_can_chicken.html
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I bet your bird tasted great.  You have just been swarmed by the spatchcock group.  I will do birds on stands,spatched or whole and all come out tasting great.  

I will say that if I'm using a stand I will cook the bird inverted(legs up).  It lets the thigh juices baste the breast meat.  Check out this thread. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2029967#Comment_2029967

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Surge
    Surge Posts: 56
    Options
    Interesting! I did love the bird, but will check out these other methods!
    Large Egg