Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Replacing the base

Options
Base cracked.  I am not mechanically inclined.  Anyone have any videos showing disassembly with the older hinge? I found the newer hinge style (springs inside hinge) but not the older version with the springs to the sides of the egg.
XL BGE

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Loosen the bolt that holds the lower band to the base, lift off and place on new Base and tighten bolt.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    Looked at it and here is the plan.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

1.  Open dome and remove springs then close dome.
    2.  Disconnect the arm that holds the hinge assembly to the nest.
    3.  Remove shelves.
    4. Loosen the band bolts.
    5. Remove dome.
    6.  Remove bands, hinge assembly in one piece.
    7. Remove base.
    8. Insert new base.
    9. Place bands and hinge assembly on base.
    10. Place dome on base.
    11.  Line everything up and tighten band bolts.
    12. Reattach bracket that connects nest to hinge assembly.
    13.  Open dome carefully and reattach springs.
    14.  Reattach shelves.

Pretty nervous as I don't want to screw anything up.

XL BGE
  • SPRIGS
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Loosen the bolt that holds the lower band to the base, lift off and place on new Base and tighten bolt.
    So don't bother with removing the dome?  Just loosen the one bolt that tightens the band to the base, lift the dome, both bands and the hinge assembly off at once and then place in new base, put dome, the bands, on and and retighten the bolt?

Sounds easier to me.  That's why I am asking.  Thanks!
    XL BGE
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I don't think you have to mess with taking the springs off. Those are pretty high tension springs. 

With the dome closed, zip tie the hinge so it stays in the closed position. Loosen the top and bottom  bands. Slide a wood closet rod type of thing down the top vent , and use it as a cross bar to pull the dome up and off. Take the bands off and swap out the base. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Hope it worked out for you. I had to replace my base on the XL. Following these instructions, almost exactly when I did mine. Worked great.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    SPRIGS said:
    Photo Egg said:
    So don't bother with removing the dome?  Just loosen the one bolt that tightens the band to the base, lift the dome, both bands and the hinge assembly off at once and then place in new base, put dome, the bands, on and and retighten the bolt?

Sounds easier to me.  That's why I am asking.  Thanks!
    I have never removed my dome from the bands when replacing base.
    I have never needed to zip tie bands together.
    Just loosen lower band bolt, lift off dome with entire band and hinge and drop onto new base. Just hold the lowers band closed agains the upper band when you lift it off and move to new base.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Before everybody goes off on zip ties, springs, etc......

Large (old bands or new bands) or XL???
  • Photo Egg
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Before everybody goes off on zip ties, springs, etc......

Large (old bands or new bands) or XL???
    XL BGE.
    He posted earlier and you answered about FB temp running hot and you were correct about cracked base. He showed photo of base.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SPRIGS
    Options
    XL purchase in January 2013.  The springs are kind of to the sides of the hinge so I assume the old bands.  Removing the springs are no problem because there is no tension on them when the dome is opened.  However, I am beginning to think I don't need to.  

Probably just zip tie the hinge so it stays in the closed position and loosen up both bands.  I can't see how I can remove the dome with the the bands attached to the same and then set that (dome with both bands and hinge) down somewhere while I swap out the base.   

I guess my plan is to now loosen up both bands and disconnect the bracket that holds the hinge to the nest.  Remove the dome and set it down.  Remove the bands/ hinge and set that all down in one piece.  Swap out the bases and then place the bands / hinge back on the base, set the dome in the bands and then retighten the band bolts.  Finally, reattach the bracket that connects the hinge to the nest.

Thanks.
    XL BGE
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    SPRIGS said:
     I can't see how I can remove the dome with the the bands attached to the same and then set that (dome with both bands and hinge) down somewhere while I swap out the base.   

Just lightly set the dome, with the bands still attached, in your grass yard or and old blanket. I have moved my XL many times by only loosening the lower band and moving bands and dome together.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SPRIGS
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    SPRIGS said:
     I can't see how I can remove the dome with the the bands attached to the same and then set that (dome with both bands and hinge) down somewhere while I swap out the base.   

Just lightly set the dome, with the bands still attached, in your grass yard or and old blanket. I have moved my XL many times by only loosening the lower band and moving bands and dome together.
    Thanks. Think I'll try it as it sounds easier than my plan!
    XL BGE
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    SPRIGS said:
    Photo Egg said:
    SPRIGS said:

Thanks. Think I'll try it as it sounds easier than my plan!
    That's all I do.....just might need someone to spot you on the other side as you set it down.  I have a skinny table the mates will straddle, so that's what I use.  Just put your whole arm through the chimney and lift it out.  Super easy.  I pull the springs and then zip tie it.  Makes it easier to reinstall.